243.reloads

pablo.222

Hi guys wondering about some different loads for .243. Have been loading for my .222 and have great results using 22.5grs of varget with 55gr sp. but have no idea wats the best powder for 243can I use varget? How much grains? Or is there a different proffered powder u guys use? Vihatvouri? But what kind? N550? Or hogdon? H414? Any advice on what powder would be appreciated before I buy a tub that won't get used. Wanting a load that does say 58grn heads and one for heavier loads at 100grns. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi Pablo

I am using 38gr H414 with Hornady 100g BTSP RWS brass and Federal match primers - OAL of 2.65"

Vit N140 or 160 would also suit.

Never done 58gr .

36g varget over a80gnosler kills every thing i point it at lapu brass cci large primer col what fits your gun 10tho back from the lands

I've been using 35.5g varget behind 87g hornady bthp to great effect.

planning to use varget for everything from .222, .243 through to 30-06...fingers crossed I'll find a sweetspot load for them all.

Hi if you can get it winchester 760 .58 grain vmax .start load 46grain max load 49 grain.same as h414. 100 grain spbt start39 grain max load 42 grain.same as h414. same load. both good powders. i use winchester 760

Last edited:
Hi guys wondering about some different loads for .243. Have been loading for my .222 and have great results using 22.5grs of varget with 55gr sp. but have no idea wats the best powder for 243can I use varget? How much grains? Or is there a different proffered powder u guys use? Vihatvouri? But what kind? N550? Or hogdon? H414? Any advice on what powder would be appreciated before I buy a tub that won't get used. Wanting a load that does say 58grn heads and one for heavier loads at 100grns. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks
In my rifle I find h414 superb, loading 60 gn sierra hp and 100gn sierra prohunter, I cant imagine how switching powder would yeild better results tbh.

Hi if you can get it winchester 760 .58 grain vmax .start load 46grain max load 49 grain.same as h414. 100 grain spbt start39 grain max load 42 grain.same as h414. same load. both good powders. i use winchester 760

Hodgdon website states min 37gr and max 40gr for 100g BTSP with H414

Last edited:
Why not go for 40.0 grains of IMR4895 with a 70gr Bullet south of Hadirans wall that load will work for any deer or vermin you come across without messng around with different loadings and zeros for different things.

Keep it simple:cool:

Why not go for 40.0 grains of IMR4895 with a 70gr Bullet south of Hadirans wall that load will work for any deer or vermin you come across without messng around with different loadings and zeros for different things.

I'm guessing that Aberdeenshire is north of the border ? :rolleyes:

hi mate i use varget for 75 grn ballistic tips the load is 38grain and get about 1/2" grouping and for 100 grn serra soft point i use 35 grain and 1/2" grouping with it,my rifle is scoped into 100 grn because i have mostly reds on my ground but if i go foxing the 75 grn fire about 3/4" higher,my rifle is tikka t3 lite, hope that helps:-|

for 243can I use varget? How much grains?

Wanting a load that does say 58grn heads and one for heavier loads at 100grns.

You will not find one powder which works well for both bullet weights, they are too different.

Assuming you want the 100 grains for Scottish deer, this will be the challenge. You will struggle to meet legal requirement of 1750fpe (i.e. 2807 fps for 100grn bullet) with anything but a well matched powder. You may struggle full stop if you have a short barrel. Its no secret that it can be challenging to get a .243 to shoot 100 grains plus at deer legal energy.

Varget is a poor choice, its better suited to a lighter bullet. On their website Hodgdon publish a maximum load of 33.7 grains for 2838 fps for 100 grain bullet, which only just makes the requirement. At the start load it only makes 2674 fps i.e. 1587 fpe. Whether you will actually achieve 1750 fpe in your rifle is questionable, and it may not be possible to use a maximum load, it may not give good accuracy, and it will be stressing your rifle barrel and brass to their maximum. Typically manufacturers use long barrels to measure their data, to give the most flattering results, and it can be difficult to replicate these in real rifles.

I would be looking for a powder which is published to deliver at least 2800 fps velocity at the starting load.

E.g. Hodgdon data shows six powders which can do this with 100 grain bullets. The best one even gives 2927 fps at the start load, and 3046 fps at maximum. Thats 1902 - 2059 fpe which is terrific for a .243. Unfortunately it is Winchester Supreme 80, which I don't think is commonly available here.

Once you have identified some powders which can definitely work legally at 100 grains, then see if there is data for them with your lighter bullet. If there is any, I think you will find that it will not give velocity anywhere close to the better powders.

By the way, your Varget looks as if it will work very well for 58 grains, so I'd stick to that for the .222 and the .243 58 grain bullet. Then select a better powder for the 100 grain bullets.

Hi I use 35.5 grains varget with 100 grain sierra prohunter softnose

That is a hot load, nearly 2 grains above maximum. Maybe OK in your rifle but not one to suggest to others. Have you chronoed it ?

Last edited:
Hi Pablo,

I use Varget for up to 90gn in .243 and get 2900 fps and excellent accuracy with 34.5gn. Hodgden website will give you data for various bullet weights. For larger deer, Sharpie is spot on about speed and legal energy. For 100gn bullets, to get over 2830 fps / 1750ftlbs, I use Norma MRP, Reloder 19 or 22 at around 42 gn. Reload data can be found on Norma and Alliant websites.

ATB

Stew

That is a hot load, nearly 2 grains above maximum. Maybe OK in your rifle but not one to suggest to others. Have you chronoed it ?
hi all should have been 32.5 grains of varget and 100 grain sierra prohunter. Another good reason to work your load up from minimum sorry about that regards biker1

I'm using a 70grn nosler with 39.7grns of Varget and a Sierra 100grn pro hunter with 43.5grns of Reloader 19 with great success in my .243
and had everything from charlie's to Red Stags
Have fun

Hodgdon website states min 37gr and max 40gr for 100g BTSP with H414
hi yes hodgdons max 40 grain.BUT look at lee reloading and then look sierra then keep goin. not meny the same.go for the that look the best for you .hodgdons 760 win max load 40.9 100 grain. USE 41.3 WIN 760.WORKS IN MY GUN.But donot give that load out.That is my load

Last edited:
37 gns of varget under a 87gn prjectile does all i ask it to do on deer up to fallow and fox, 42 gs of varget under a 75 gn pill gives me a more accurate round in my rifle and is mustard on roe and fox too. df

Back