Optilock front mount on Sako 85

Virbius

With the rear Optilock sitting tight against the recoil lug, does the front mount need to be fixed as far forward on the taper-dovetail and the scope mounted to suit or does the front mount not need to be tight on the taper?

I had the same problem getting enough eye relief on mine with a lisenfeld scope,I fitted the rear one with the lug as it can only go in one place,the front mount is flush with the chamber opening so quite far back,it's tight on there and has kept zero with no problems.

The correct place according to the Optilock instruction sheet is the back of the base level with the front of the chamber opening

The front mount is windage adjustable.

Correct fitting is by centring the scopes windage adjustments and then using the position of the front mount to set coarse windage adjustment.

Moving the front mount forward will shift the poi right moving it back will shift poi left.

Then fine tune using the scope turrets.

As far as I remember, Wsm is correct if you're using the bases with separate rings. These bases come in three kinds: extended rearwards over the receiver opening (extended), with the ring-hole at the back (long action), and the ring-hole at the front (short action). Regardez ici http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockbase.pdf

The less-common, but elegant and functional, integrated ring/base units are suggested for use as Mr Lewis suggests. I prefer this sort, but they won't do for fashionable huge-objective glass. For a S&B 6x42, they do splendidly! Ici http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

Yes WSM is certainly right regarding the rear mount - with the recoil lug snug into the slot on the taper-dovetail the front of the rear mount is level with the front of the chamber opening.
I also think that Mr Lewis has hit the nail on the head regarding the front mount that it gives some mechanical windage adjustment, thus it doesn't have to sit all the way forward on the front taper.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted, but I thought Wsm meant that the rear of the front (rather than the rear) mount should be level with the front of the chamber opening. This is certainly how I have always mounted the base/ring combo on my Sakos.

The front of a pair of single-unit ringmounts can go wherever on the front taper suits best re. windage.

:doh:RTFM - confirms that the front mount doesn't have to be all way forward on the taper. It should be mounted with the rear edge flush with the front end of the ejection opening - also confirmed from GMK.

View attachment 16942

Perhaps I have misinterpreted, but I thought Wsm meant that the rear of the front (rather than the rear) mount should be level with the front of the chamber opening. This is certainly how I have always mounted the base/ring combo on my Sakos.

The front of a pair of single-unit ringmounts can go wherever on the front taper suits best re. windage.

:thumb:

Yes WSM is certainly right regarding the rear mount - with the recoil lug snug into the slot on the taper-dovetail the front of the rear mount is level with the front of the chamber opening.
I also think that Mr Lewis has hit the nail on the head regarding the front mount that it gives some mechanical windage adjustment, thus it doesn't have to sit all the way forward on the front taper.

Quite correct. From the three Sako rifles with Optilocks I've owned (2x model 75s and 1x85 model 85), the front mount generally sits along the middle of the tapered rail with an optically centered scope. Moving that mount back on the rail will move the POI left, and moving the mount foward will move the POI to the right.
The supplied instructions above will use up a lot of right windage adjustment to zero the scope, if it can be zeroed at all. I have sorted out quite a few sets of Optilocks for frustrated Sako owners who had problems zeroing.

Back