Fully suppressed

novice

Has anyone any experience of using a 'fully suppressed' rifle?

Would they have any application to stalking, or does the suppression reduce muzzle velocities to such an extent to prevent them from being deer legal?

Novice

To be truly quiet a bullet must leave the muzzle at below the speed of sound which is just under 1000 feet per second. Subsonic 22rf through a silencer just give a quiet thud.

For a stalking rifle legla requirement is a minimum muzzle velocity of 2400 feet per second if in England and 2450 if in Scoltnad (willing to stand corrected!!!) so to yo cannot get a fully silneced rifle.

A stalking rifle moderator takes out all the bang, but you still get the crack of the bullet.

In theory you could have a fully suppressed twelve bore shot gun firing solid slug that would be deer legal (for that limited class of person entitled to use one on deer) and actually probably very efficient under certain circumstances.

Also, as there is no velocity requirement in England and Wales provided you could achieve the muzzle energy requirement it would also be possible.

I have seen fired fully suppressed weapons and they are remarkably quiet! The ultimate silent killer (but now illegal under Mrs Thatcher's Wildlife and Countryside Act) was, of course, the bow and arrow or the crossbow.

Hi Guys

My friend who makes the copper bullets also makes rifles. here is a .338 Lap mag fully moderated target rifle. Neat hey!

Tobias-steht-mit-G-06.jpg

Mark

OOOHHH isn't that pretty :lol:

bet the cops love that ...not ..lol

I have seen a fully moderated snipers rifle but wasn't into the whole velocity/muzzle energy thing at the time just thought it was very quiet and very neat :D

Theguy who built it said the other rifle they had was so quiet all you could hear was the click as the striker hit the primer :eek: but I never saw that one sadly, so don't know how true that is.

Legal , it goes PSHHHST PUTT !!!.
In all seriousness . a great mans gun , just wouldn't' want it on a stalk!! :lol: Mark what range are we speaking give a meter or 2 .
Trapper

Actually, I think you need a 700 grain bullet to be deer legal and subsonic... Rather conveniently, Hornady does a 750 grain 50 cal bullet.

500 whisper anyone (it exists)? :evil: I'd like to see someone get that approved by the police :evil:

We experimented with a couple of fully suppressed rifle designs when in the army and as others have stated, the ammo has to be subsonic to make it worthwhile.

My lasting impression was weight like you wouldn't believe! It was like carrying the GPMG all over again and pretty much as cumbersome.

Added to that, the rounds had a balistic curve like a rock falling from a cliff and are really only of use out to 200yds or so. The russians have a few which are intended more as aids to close quarters sabotage, etc.

We did have an excellent little rifle called the DeLisle Carbine - there are still a few hiding in armouries, if you know where to look. It only shot the 45ACP round but is surprisingly accurate and very, very quiet.

scotsgun said:
We experimented with a couple of fully suppressed rifle designs when in the army and as others have stated, the ammo has to be subsonic to make it worthwhile.

My lasting impression was weight like you wouldn't believe! It was like carrying the GPMG all over again and pretty much as cumbersome.

Added to that, the rounds had a balistic curve like a rock falling from a cliff and are really only of use out to 200yds or so. The russians have a few which are intended more as aids to close quarters sabotage, etc.

We did have an excellent little rifle called the DeLisle Carbine - there are still a few hiding in armouries, if you know where to look. It only shot the 45ACP round but is surprisingly accurate and very, very quiet.

Interesting clips of the DeLisle Carbine on You Tube, this is just one.

Chris

At a NW region BDS event last year there was a riflesmith there who gave a talk who had rebuilt a DeLisle for someone who wanted it for foxing. I could find out his name if you are interested?

Peter Sarony of Armalon does conversions of No 4 rifles to 45 ACP, I've seen one that he did with a silencer on it and because the silencer was integral to the rifle it didn't need a separate variation.

http://www.armalon.com/pc.shtml

I've a book somewhere with some pics of different fully suppressed rifles used by armed forces throughout the world

This is what got me thinking about their use against deer.

Without digging the book out, I'm sure there was a fully suppressed Accuracy International AW and another rifle used by the French army.

Both rifles looked pretty tasty and certainly a lot slimmer and more handy than that shown above.

Might look into one for the foxes if the lottery numbers come up!

Novice

50 yd,100 yd,150 yd,200 yd
3.4,,,,,0.0,,,,,-12.2,,,,,-33.0

Trajectory of lapua .308 subsonics - seems a bit unworkable to me.

Back