DSC1 Youngest pass

14years and 2 days to beat!

Bearing in mind that you have to have an FAC or be a member of a HO approved gun club to shoot under the age of 17

14years and 2 days to beat!

Bearing in mind that you have to have an FAC or be a member of a HO approved gun club to shoot under the age of 17

Really ?

As long as the child is under the direct​ supervision of the owner of the fire arm I thought!

Wrong to fire a centrefire rifle below the age of 17 you must either be a member of a HO approved club shooting on an approved range or have an FAC for the rifle you are using.

Wrong to fire a centrefire rifle below the age of 17 you must either be a member of a HO approved club shooting on an approved range or have an FAC for the rifle you are using.
Really?

So all those "My first Buck. Aged 14" pictures you see in the Shooting Times ect are technically illegal? (I doubt they ALL have FAC's)

Ive lost count of the young lads that have shot their first stag/buck with me.

Last edited:
8x57,

I'm not aware that a 13 year old can be on their own, even with an SGC, in public and shooting.

Stan

I was under the impression that a youngster could use a rifle under the supervision of the certificate holder. Thought that was and has always been the case. I would like to see it in black and white

Mark

8x57,

I'm not aware that a 13 year old can be on their own, even with an SGC, in public and shooting.

Stan

Stan I think that you may be confusing shotgun and firearms certificates. There is currently no lower age limit for the grant of a shotgun certificate and I believe that there have been several instances of shotgun certificates being issued to 9 year olds, there may even be youngsters younger than this that have shotgun certificates but I am not aware of any. Firearms certificates are an entirely a different matter and 14 is the minimum age for the grant of a firearms certificate.

Stan I think that you may be confusing shotgun and firearms certificates. There is currently no lower age limit for the grant of a shotgun certificate and I believe that there have been several instances of shotgun certificates being issued to 9 year olds, there may even be youngsters younger than this that have shotgun certificates but I am not aware of any. Firearms certificates are an entirely a different matter and 14 is the minimum age for the grant of a firearms certificate.

Note: Stan said 'on their own' I.e. With no supervision.

I was under the impression that a youngster could use a rifle under the supervision of the certificate holder. Thought that was and has always been the case. I would like to see it in black and white

Mark

No Mark that isn't the case. There are a few ways that youngsters (under 17) can shoot a rifle, one is as the holder of a firearms certificate (minimum age 14) and the other is on a range as a member of a Home Office approved rifle club. There is a third option and that is as a member of one of the cadet forces. The "estate rifle" exemption only applies to those over 17 years of age.

It's worth having a look at the BASC website or trawling through the guidance to police document that is a sticky on this website. The legislation regarding age is very confusing and quite restrictive.

Last edited:
Really?

So all those "My first Buck. Aged 14" pictures you see in the Shooting Times ect are technically illegal? (I doubt they ALL have FAC's)

Ive lost count of the young lads that have shot their first stag/buck with me.

You are right Dan there are a lot of silly admissions in Shooting Times, often people don't realise what they are admitting to.

I can see several things that are not quite correct with the attachment you have added Mark, irrespective of the date which is April 2000 and changes that have been made since then.

I can see several things that are not quite correct with the attachment you have added Mark, irrespective of the date which is April 2000 and changes that have been made since then.
. Oh well they all say I am stuck in the past I thought cartridges were still 2 pounds a box till about 6 months ago

Back