Scone 2012 - some pictures

Moray Outfitting

Following the various threads about the washed out Scone this year, thought I'd put up some pictures.

Not many taken - as digital cameras and rain don't mix well. As on trade stand, many taken early morning before most people up and about on the Saturday.

Can only say the images don't really convey how sodden the ground was. The gravel was barely floating on top of mush. we were luckily on a high bit - many of the stands had standing water/ 4-6 inches of mud slurry in them and access was across deeper pools of water/ mud. We also 'luckily' got a double dose of gravel outside our bit - no idea how that happened :smug:

The Fly fishing 'jetties' slowly washed away during Friday evening and by Sat morning were either gone or submerged.

Short of having pathways established/ laid out beforehand, I really don't think the organisers could have done much other than cancel.

Thursday evening some of the traders didnt do themselves many favours. The organisers offered mats and help to trucks/ vans, but many couldn't/ wouldn't wait. A few dozen transits driven at full revs don't help sodden grass very much!

Scone June 2012 (8).jpg
Ready for the start Friday Morning

Scone June 2012 (10).jpg
John with visitors - visitors!

Scone June 2012 (11).jpg
Early Sat morning up to arena from our stand

Scone June 2012 (19).jpg
Over by the main arena

Like I say, pictures do not really convey just how sodden it was. Every step was floating.

Still, there's always next year!

Attachments

• Scone June 2012 (18).jpg
    Scone June 2012 (18).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Or you could all come to the Deerstalking Fair in March next year to avoid having to wait until July... :D ;)

Looks bad, but have to say that given it is Scotland in July, no surprise there was rain...

I'll be there Jam :thumb:

I'm really not sure about the company that John keeps.

Seriously though, was not there on the friday would have gone on the Sunday as usual, a lot of people I have spoken to said there was less trade stands than usual, hearing about stands flooded and water damaged stock just wonder if this could put a lot of them off from coming back another year.

Are you lads that payed for a site for three days going to be reimbursed?

Remember being at Kelso which was very bad but not cancelled think that was the last time the CLA came to Scotland.

what about Moy?

I've never been before but we have syndicate ground very near there. So, now that the trip to Scone got rained off (which frankly, I don't really understand. Glastonbury still goes great when it's a total swamp and those are just "sissy" townies listening to some pop music :D and yet all us roughie, toughie welly-wearing, card carrying, "sportsmen" and "countrymen" couldn't be let loose in a lightly dampened field ???) I've planned a weekend stalking and a trip into the Moy Estate along the way instead.

I hope it's as good as they say.

Moy... not Glastonbury :D

View attachment 17108

Pity about the cancellation but was the right decision.Moys a nice wee intimate fair and although no way on the scale of Scone its still a good day out and also has the CIC in attendance.Heres hoping the weather improves for then.

Moy is a cracking wee fair. no way as big as scone but still well worth the trip up the A9 for those that missed out on scone.

Moy gamefair

Last edited:
I've never been before but we have syndicate ground very near there. So, now that the trip to Scone got rained off (which frankly, I don't really understand. Glastonbury still goes great when it's a total swamp and those are just "sissy" townies listening to some pop music :D and yet all us roughie, toughie welly-wearing, card carrying, "sportsmen" and "countrymen" couldn't be let loose in a lightly dampened field ???) I've planned a weekend stalking and a trip into the Moy Estate along the way instead.

I hope it's as good as they say.

Moy... not Glastonbury :D

View attachment 17108

A few years back, I know it cost GWCT a 6 figure sum to reinstate the scone site, it tools days to pull all the lorries, vans out!
Maybe time to look for another venue, Scone is great but rarely does everything go to plan with traffic and it's murder with rain.

the only killer with moy is the midges!!!!!!!!! looking forward to stalkers fair as A its indoors B no midges C its a new venue and new crew:thumb:

Back