Big Ask Help Please??

Jdsniper

Hi All
I have a big ask
I have had my FAC a couple of months now but due to the condition put on both my calibers i need a mentor. The gents that i had planned to use are just too busy with work.
I have got .22LR And .22 Hornet but have not even zeroed the rifles yet as unable to get out.
So if anybody would be in the position to offer me some time to take me out and help set up my rifles and then provide me with a document if they are happy to enable me to get the conditions removed. I am free most the time apart from wednesday friday and saturday nights and am located close to Redditch Worcestershire
I have had experience with .22LR and provided evidence with my application but still got this condition i have also been a S/G certificate holder for over 6 years and have full insurance through BASC
If any one could possible help me out i am sure i could sort a case of beer.
Many thanks

I'm sure you'll have no problems mate - 90% of members here are great people as far as my experience goes, and really like to help each other out..

Hi, Is there a local small bore rifle club that you could use for your rimfire ? At least then you could gain experience and set up one rifle.

As PKL said, you will find someone on here that will help ..... some really good guys on here.

Good luck.

If you fancy at least setting up your rifles and fancy a trip down to Monmouth on Sunday morning pm me. It's an indoor 100 yard centrefire rifle range.

+1 to the idea of a trip to Monmouth.

To be frank, I think your mistake here was agreeing to the mentor conditions. 10.33 of the HO Guidance advises CCs to be cautious about conditions that effectively make your FAC difficult or impossible to use. You have reason, you have land authority, you've been considered suitable to possess and use the firearms ... you shouldn't therefore need a mentor. I expect you chose 22LR and 22Hornet because they do the job you have to do, and not because you "want a gun".

As a BASC member, give them a call and see what they can do for you with regard to removing the conditions.

Thanks for the offers gents I'll be in touch.
I have been I touch with Basc and on the advise wrote to my licensing manager, so finger crossed now

Hi All
I have a big ask
I have had my FAC a couple of months now but due to the condition put on both my calibers i need a mentor. The gents that i had planned to use are just too busy with work.
I have got .22LR And .22 Hornet but have not even zeroed the rifles yet as unable to get out.
So if anybody would be in the position to offer me some time to take me out and help set up my rifles and then provide me with a document if they are happy to enable me to get the conditions removed. I am free most the time apart from wednesday friday and saturday nights and am located close to Redditch Worcestershire
I have had experience with .22LR and provided evidence with my application but still got this condition i have also been a S/G certificate holder for over 6 years and have full insurance through BASC
Many thanks

Am I reading this right - you want someone to help you zero, then you want to ask for the mentoring condition to be removed after that?

That isn't how mentoring normally works. The mentor would have to accompany you actually shooting the quarry your rifle(s) are conditioned with for a period of time, then your mentor (NOT you) will write to your FEO advising that he is happy for you to go out on your own.

If the two mentors you mention are specified by name by your FEO/FLA then a substitute mentor will not suffice.

Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing.

"Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing."

Not necessarily so David, as many clubs are able to accept guests who hold a firearms certificate. He will however need to have a zeroing condition on his certificate, he will not be target shooting.

"Also note that for most rifle ranges you will need to be a member to be able to shoot on them, and have a target condition on your certificate, even for zeroing."

Not necessarily so David, as many clubs are able to accept guests who hold a firearms certificate. He will however need to have a zeroing condition on his certificate, he will not be target shooting.

True, and I was oversimplifying, but raising the point that it may not be that easy to get on a range - for example most of the ranges my club uses are MoD and you won't even get on them without being a full club member and having a Safety & Competence card.

That's the problem with forums David, we all try to help out by giving simple answers when often the answer isn't simple or straight forward. M.O.D. ranges certainly complicate things a fair bit, as do some clubs who introduce rules that aren't really necessary. Fortunately our club has it's on range so we are not dependant on the M.O.D. or Landmark and their strange ways. I've come across the situation you mention before where only club members are allowed to use the range but there's no reason why this should be as long as clubs go about things the right way. What I do start to get a little annoyed at is some sporting shooters who expect to simply turn up at a range with no interest in joining the club and virtually demand to be allowed to use the range. They don't seem to realise that most clubs are just that clubs run by the members for the benefit of the members, they are not commercial concerns where you "pay and play/shoot".

Hi thanks for the reply I did not word my request correctly and would not expect some one to sign me off after just zeroing.
Sorry for the confusion.

Hi All
I have a big ask
Many thanks

Hang on a minute - they've given you an FAC but not allowed you to go to a range and zero it?! What do your conditions say? - it should say "on ........ peice of land and zeroing or land deemed suitable by the Chief constable of police" or something to that effect - "land deemed suitable" is any approved rifle range so you should be able to show up somewhere and pay as a guest and zero!

"Mentor" is an experienced person or teacher who is supporting you in your learning - so a professional stalker who you pay to take you out fits this.

Sorry mate but I don't get your conditions - do you have your own land/permission but you can't go out unless you've got someone with you? If I were you I'd speak to your FLO and clarify.

Hi thanks for reply
Yes I have my own land and you are correct that I carnt go out.
Both my calibers say that I must be accompanied with a experience Rifel shooter.
I have spoken to basc and they have advised me to write to my licencing manager which I have done.

Hi thanks for reply
Yes I have my own land and you are correct that I carnt go out.
Both my calibers say that I must be accompanied with a experience Rifel shooter.
I have spoken to basc and they have advised me to write to my licencing manager which I have done.

Your FLO's a joker pal! That's like giving you your driving licence and saying you need an instructor in the car still! I'm on the south coast otherwise would say come out with me until they make the appropriate amends on your ticket for the .22... as for the .22 hornet what were you hoping to use it for? Fox?

Bunny, the mentoring conditions is, sadly, all too common. JD's condition is, in fact, less restrictive than a lot, which name one or two specific mentors.

I agree that the condition would appear to come into that category of "constructive refusal to issue" by making the firearms effectively unusable. A quick note to the Chief Constable might get things moving.

Bunny, the mentoring conditions is, sadly, all too common. JD's condition is, in fact, less restrictive than a lot, which name one or two specific mentors.

I agree that the condition would appear to come into that category of "constructive refusal to issue" by making the firearms effectively unusable. A quick note to the Chief Constable might get things moving.

I had no mentoring conditions on mine, but then I had rimfires for a few years before and had also done my DSC1... to be honest I don't think the DSC1 alone would have qualified me if I'd had no shooting/hunting experience, but obviously had that been the case I may not have passed the course.

I live in northern Ireland. When I applied for my first centre fire- a 22 250 the firearms officer basically told me to get someone to take me out with a centre fire for a few months and get a letter of competence before I could even apply for the gun!. Then I was told I didn't have enough land to shoot on - 250 acres. I then went and got another 200 acres on top of that. Then the firearms officer came out to inspect the land and said that all the land had to be joined to each other. My reply to him was " you keep putting out the hoops and il keep jumping through them!". My firearms cert landed through the door less than 2 weeks later. My local gun shop couldn't believe the amount of things I had to do to get it passed.

Back