something to aim for... 100Yds

Tom D

I have just started doing a wee bit of practice at targets with the HMR, at 40 yds off hand, with the dsc1 coming up at the end of the month so I thought I'd start there.

I tried shooting one group off hand at 100yds just to see, I shot a 6" group, which would figure as I was shooting 2-4" groups at 40yds. I wondered what a good shot would do off hand at 100 yds, to give me something to aim for as I practice and hopefully improve. I think I am an ok shot, but I bet with practice i could be better. I have seen loads of posts and pics of groups on here re bench shooting, but what can we do un-aided no bipods or sticks just you and the rifle? I don't know if I am any good or average or crap. BTW 6" at 100yds could have been a fluke... I will need to try a few more..:)

6" at 100 yds free hand first go is a good effort, with practise 4" should be possible, I'm not sure much better can be expected than 3 - 4". But I'm sure someone will prove me wrong!

sounds good,ive never tried it,using sticks is about as wobbly as i do,never tried that at 100yds at paper targets

I have just started doing a wee bit of practice at targets with the HMR, at 40 yds off hand, with the dsc1 coming up at the end of the month so I thought I'd start there.

I tried shooting one group off hand at 100yds just to see, I shot a 6" group, which would figure as I was shooting 2-4" groups at 40yds. I wondered what a good shot would do off hand at 100 yds, to give me something to aim for as I practice and hopefully improve. I think I am an ok shot, but I bet with practice i could be better. I have seen loads of posts and pics of groups on here re bench shooting, but what can we do un-aided no bipods or sticks just you and the rifle? I don't know if I am any good or average or crap. BTW 6" at 100yds could have been a fluke... I will need to try a few more..:)

Good on you mate.

Keep up the Practise it pays off.

Thats a damn sight better than I can shoot freehand.

Off sticks I would expect to easily shoot sub 1" groups but off hand would be happy with hitting the target:D

Its funny, I had never tried sticks but today I tried using a couple of garden canes at 40 yds, I shot 2" which I can do occasionally w/o sticks.. Maybe I need to practise with sticks too. I have to say I found them pretty uncomfortable..

If you are going to be doing the DSC1 it would be best to practice at the ranges and positions decreed by the rules.
Offhand at 100yds is not one of them.
You are also permitted to use aids used normally in stalking. Bipods, sticks and rucsacs are permitted so use them, try to prepare yourself for what you are about to be doing.
Remember also that at the short range that bore line and sight line are not the same as the bullet has not yet risen to that point.

HWH.

Shooting at 100 yds was just a bit of fun, a challenge, I have been practising at 40 yards which is on the test, well its 40m. I can shoot pretty well from sitting, so I'm not worried about that bit. It says that at 100m any position may be used, so maybe I should keep at it at 100yds, might be quite cool to rock up and do it all on foot LOL although I think under test conditions my groups may open up a bit...

As above, I wouldn't bother with the 100yd freehand shots. That's hard! It's not like you'd have to do that stalking either. Well done with the 6 inch group! Those quad pod sticks are really good, I'd shoot an inch group at 100yds with them.

Where are you doing your course Tom?

Are you taking that hammock tent thingy!?! The one from the arbtalk Scotland get together whatdyamacallit.

No I'll be driving up, we are expecting our second kid any day around then so I'll need to be ready... It will probably come on the day of the exam.....

Are you on that course?

No, I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I'd have gone up there if I'd known. Have you any stalking yet??

I have stalking on the farm next to my house, but no rifle yet, still waiting on a new barrel... Been having fun with the HMR though, got a couple of foxes, bunnies and crows too.

Shooting at 100 yds was just a bit of fun, a challenge, I have been practising at 40 yards which is on the test, well its 40m. I can shoot pretty well from sitting, so I'm not worried about that bit. It says that at 100m any position may be used, so maybe I should keep at it at 100yds, might be quite cool to rock up and do it all on foot LOL although I think under test conditions my groups may open up a bit...
Tom , I think Stag may already know the rules mate . Try shooting 100 yards prone see how you get on with that

No Its an LW, I spoke to border and the cut rifled ones were out of my price range, the button rifled ones they do in 7-08 are all an 8 twist which is maybe ok for a 7x57 or RUM which can handle heavy bullets, but given that I don't load and will be going down the factory ammo route I wanted a slower twist, LW do a 9 twist which is what I went for.

Andy Massingham is doing the work.

Back