Costs involved with reloading

redlab

Start up cost aside guys i'm just wondering how much it costs to reload a round? I know that it will depend on what powders, weights and caliber etc etc I have a 6.5x55 and i'm thinking of applying for a .204 and a .223. So does anyone have experence of reloading these calibers or ever worked out the average cost (time not included) of loading any of these calibers?

Thanks in advance

David

Try this link, just fill in the boxes and it should calculate it for you, insert £'s values in the $ spaces the calculator won't know the difference! It all depends what price you can get your components at, however it's best to find a load that suits your rifle in components that will be readily available / easily sourced or you might have to work up new loads if you have to change/substitute components.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

Have fun

Bob

If I write my brass off at a cost of about 6p per reload, assuming about 10 loads from Lapua brass then reloading for my 308 comes in around 63p per round using Nosler Partitions that I bring in from the USA. If I was buying the bullets here then I would be up nearer the £1 per shot. I would imagine your 6.5 would be similar money.

If one were really worry about the costs of reloading then many would be too frightened to go out and squeeze a trigger.

How many go :-

bang ................... that's a quid gone .................................. bang that's two! :coat:.

Now where is the ostrich with head shoved in the sand emoticon?

If one were really worry about the costs of reloading then many would be too frightened to go out and squeeze a trigger.

How many go :-

bang ................... that's a quid gone .................................. bang that's two! :coat:.

Now where is the ostrich with head shoved in the sand emoticon?

If that bothered me I wouldn't be shooting the wood pigeon and crows that are eating my cover crops with it at £46 for 20 norma!!!!! was just ticking away in the back of my mind how much I could be saving :)

£46 for a box of 20, £230 per 100 or £2.30 each, that's just crazy. :cuckoo: My .308 reloads work out at around 46p each, they may not be premium bullets but they do the job very nicely thank you. The kit that I use has been amassed over a very long period of time but has paid for itself many times over. I simply couldn't afford to shoot at those prices and I really enjoy my shooting.

Try this link, just fill in the boxes and it should calculate it for you, insert £'s values in the $ spaces the calculator won't know the difference! It all depends what price you can get your components at, however it's best to find a load that suits your rifle in components that will be readily available / easily sourced or you might have to work up new loads if you have to change/substitute components.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

Have fun

Bob

Nice link. Thanks.

24p each for my 22-250

29p each for my 7mm-08

Excellent.

£46 for a box of 20, £230 per 100 or £2.30 each, that's just crazy. :cuckoo: My .308 reloads work out at around 46p each, they may not be premium bullets but they do the job very nicely thank you. The kit that I use has been amassed over a very long period of time but has paid for itself many times over. I simply couldn't afford to shoot at those prices and I really enjoy my shooting.

I stocked up on ammo a couple of years ago, gave away a maybe 3-400 once fired cases as I didn't reload......... bad idea had no idea of how much they were worth!!!! And was pricing the ammo last week, needless to say @ £2.30 a bang I nearly fell off my chair!!!!!!!!![FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Well you can see their point they have tried draconian legislation and it's failed tried bully boy tactics via the Police and licensing and that has failed so they will try to price us out.

It worked with the first licenses being price beyond the working mans pocket so they are trying again via taxes and import duty and restriction pushing up the prices more and more.

Well you can see their point they have tried draconian legislation and it's failed tried bully boy tactics via the Police and licensing and that has failed so they will try to price us out.

It worked with the first licenses being price beyond the working mans pocket so they are trying again via taxes and import duty and restriction pushing up the prices more and more.

[FONT=&quot]When I started I would think nothing of firing 20 rounds in an outing after my stalk, check zero drop at different ranges. but these days seem to go out and most of my shots account for a beast or vermin I REALLY wished I had kept topped up before the prices crept up!!!!![/FONT]

I've calculated my .243 reloads hornady hpbt's at just 29p/round. much better than 20x factory norma's at £35 or £1.75/round..yikes!

Reloading is not really about saving money, it's more about making, better, more accurate ammunition than you can buy. This is due to the fact that your ammunition can be custom tailored to your rifle. Yes, cost per round is about half that of factory ammunition, using premium bullets, but I guarantee that you won't save money. That's because you'll fire more of it at the range, making you a better shot.

Last edited:
Hi David,
Only replying because out of curiousity I costed reloading for 6,5x55mm.
29 pence per Sierra 140 gr Game King bullet
3 pence per Remington No 9.5 primer
7 pence for 45.5 gr Viht N160 = 39 pence per round.
Don't have any knowledge on .204 or .223
Regards
Simon

Haven't even contemplated the real costs of my reloads,....... get too much pleasure out of it, both in the field on deer & at home on the bench.:tiphat:

Reloading is not really about saving money, it's more about making, better, more accurate ammunition than you can buy. This is due to the fact that your ammunition can be custom tailored to your rifle. Yes, cost per round is about half that of factory ammunition, using premium bullets, but I guarantee that you won't save money. That's because you'll fire more of it at the range, making you a better shot.

Really :eek:.

well I set up to reload originally because it's the only way I could AFFORD to practice and shoot as much as I liked to. I would go the the club at least three times a week and shoot my pistols. In fact at the Bisley Pistol meeting I picked up so many cast lead bullets in 9mm, .41 and .358 that the poor old Cortina estate bottomed out the suspension :oops: I think the least number I ordered of any of them was 3,000.

When shooting in comps at bisley reloading was not just done for consistency, it was also for keeping the cost down,

50 to 150 rounds a day depending on the comp, and then the cost of fuel/cost of the lads in the buts, etc etc etc.

it all added up, and if i was then going to have a plink on short Siberia with a new load / rifle there's even more cost.

shooting for some like me now in a part time job with thousands of others out there looking for work,

loading saves money.

i think my 20 tac is about 20p, so its cheaper than a 17 hmr. and my .243 just now is about 3p per pop,

and i don't miss that much so accuracy is already there.

bob.

"i think my 20 tac is about 20p, so its cheaper than a 17 hmr. and my .243 just now is about 3p per pop,"

Bob I think you missed a digit out before the 3, at 3p a pop you will have only costed for the primer.:doh:

looks like you may have gone adrift when you have worked our your powder costings , that works out about £24 /Kg

Hi David,
Only replying because out of curiousity I costed reloading for 6,5x55mm.
29 pence per Sierra 140 gr Game King bullet
3 pence per Remington No 9.5 primer
7 pence for 45.5 gr Viht N160 = 39 pence per round.
Don't have any knowledge on .204 or .223
Regards
Simon

The cost of reloading:

First you need a good computer: $800 – 1100 US

Then you need good internet access: About $65/mo US

A printer: $149 US

Paper for printer: $5 US

Of course, you’ll need some reloading gear but the Internet is essential for reloading. How else would you learn how it’s done?? ~Muir

Back