Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stippling a stock

Stippling a stock

Hi all,
    has anybody got any tips on stippling a laminate stock? Images of any work and the tools that were used would be great, to help me add the finishing touches to a project.

I'm away at the moment and so haven't got any pictures, but I've done several and so can offer some tips from my experiences.

The first thing to say is that I personally don't like the look - I did it because the owners concerned wanted it - and because of the nature of the technique, it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to subsequently change, so be very sure it is what you want.

Secondly, the stock wood needs to be of an appropriate grain structure to ensure that it will take the texture nicely and not tear out. If you have a laminate stock, you will also have to consider design carefully to avoid exposing long sections of glue joint.

I use a rotary tool with a flexible shaft - this is more comfortable to work with and reduces the potential for mistakes caused by the motor body getting too close to the stock. I use a diamond burr for the stippling (rather than a toothed burr) as this gives a better finish to the wood for subsequent staining/sealing, and a wheel cutter to edge the stippled patches.

Design-wise, I think that small stippled patches which reflect the lines of the stock work better than larger patches which tend to over dominate the finished look.

As always, plenty of time, good light and a comfortable working position are 90% of a successful end result. I work at a table, resting the stock on several small leather covered sand bags (used on the range for supporting the rifle) that can be adjusted to give different orientations. I have an old webbing seatbelt which is tied on the far side of the table, brought over the stock and hung down the front of the table, and with a loop tied in the end. I put my foot in the loop and by pushing down, can clamp (and release) the stock very quickly and simply.

Lay out your pencil lines to mark out the patch (use some cornflakes packet cardboard to transfer shapes around curves). There are two ways of doing the edge of the patch - you can either use the wheel to cut the line first before stippling, or like me, stipple up to the edge and then cut the line (which gives at least some chance of correcting a mistake). I stipple by rocking my hand up and down, or by doing overlocking figure eight's - keep the speed to about 15000 rpm and don't try to cut too fast to avoid burns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A small tutorial Stippling.pdf 
Views:	61 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	17179

Hi there,

I think I have managed to upload this tutorial that I downloaded some time ago from another site.

Last edited by bobthedug; 05-07-2012 at 11:11.

Hi thanks for the info

You can make up your own stippling tools plenty of guides on the web and in some gunsmithing guides (books)

here is some that a previous owner did to personalise this Midland 2100 rifle:-

Sorry I do not know who did it nor what they used but there were obviously talented as theu also did this hand engraving:-

One article in the old NRA Gunsmithing guide used a stippling tool made out of a 4" nail. Instead of rounded his tool was a vee shape for the stippling.

sorry I dont like it.
    looks like old, acne ridden skin.

The stippling you show on the Midland BH was possibly done with a nail. It was common practise in the days of target pistol shooting to make your own grips and to stipple them in such a way. Effective but not particularly pretty.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As I said I don't know what he used or even the chap who did it. I brought the rifle from an internet friend and I know that it shoots the 100 grain Hornady bullets well. It makes an interesting addition to the collection. Now I used to have a photo saved on my old computer of the very nice palmated Fallow he shot with it. His first Buck and a heck of one to follow. Divorce led tot eh rifle being for sale.

I'm with Bewsher on this one. As previously said, I'm not a fan of this technique and what was done (stippling-wise) to that poor stock just confirms it. IMHO it wasn't a great choice of stippling pattern and tacking it on to the side of the chequering just highlighted the importance of a coherent design that works with all the elements of the stock and enhances the appearance. The engraving is much better in comparision.

Nice solid gun though Brit - and as you say, what matters is what you do with it.

No disrepect intended BH but what your friend did although done well was to polish a turd. The rifle is a good honest gun and great value for money but he engrved various parts of the metalwork yet left the original bolt shroud with its rough machine marks untouched.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.