Taking out a client

You could always let him shoot it for nothing then charge him a fortune for cleaning and posting it lol.

I'm sure there are people/guests willing to agree to stalk on an un-insured 'friendly' basis for a fee of X-amount, no paperwork, no BS, fee determined by trophy quality after measurements.

You don't have to declare to the tax man earnings under £2.5k or thereabouts.

You can get liability insurance for what? 60 quid. Meet them at the wood, so they don't go in your truck. Or just don't crash.

Get it sold. It'll help pay for your stalking. I think that's perfectly reasonable!

Taking clients is not an easy thing to do but can be rewarding.
The problems will come when you have promised something that does not happen.
I would strongly advise you not to advertise that it is a Gold. What happens if it not? You will no doubt have read the threads where people are not happy with what they have shot!
I would also advise you to do only guided stalking. Some people will expect to be just left to stalk alone. DON'T do it and never leave them alone.
If you have a few other bucks, find some one you DON'T know who wants to go stalking. Lead them on the stalk for a cull animal and find out if it suits you. Some people think they can do guided stalking. Not everyone can get a client into an animal, and even then not everyone can get a client to make a successful shot on an animal.
Try it. Most hate it. Me personally...........I LOVE IT. Greatest feeling getting someone an animal they really want.

Firstly you have to be brave to declare a gold in advance, but given that you are confident there are many that would pay in the region of 1k for a successful gold Roe stalk. It's just finding them that's the tricky bit, but there are plenty of Agents that have just that sort of client on the books waiting for a call.
What were you thinking Swarovski ?

Not really, there are loads of guys who are willing to pay to shoot a gold medal buck, I turn them away on a regular basis. It's clients that will shoot what you ask them to, from an old buck going back, to a big medal buck, or a murder buck. These are the ones that are hard to find.

Swarovski,
The CA are your own personal shooting insurance, same as BASC. Neither will insure a stalking company to the level that is required, for that you need a company like Melrups, expect to pay several hundred £ for the correct cover. :(

Last edited:
Speak to SACS about their sporting agent insurance you may be pleased.

John

SGA also cover stalkers who take out a limited number of guests/days each year as well now.

Likewise I have had folk asking to specifically look for a big or medal class stag. I know there are some of that quality there but on every occasion I have said I would not take a booking that specifies that. It could mean many wasted days and passing up on deer that would otherwise be shot towards the cull.

Dont listen to the scare mongers. Find a fool and get him in font of your medal and get your arse pooch full of £50's. Best of luck
GT

You don't have to declare to the tax man earnings under £2.5k or thereabouts.

You can get liability insurance for what? 60 quid. Meet them at the wood, so they don't go in your truck. Or just don't crash.

Get it sold. It'll help pay for your stalking. I think that's perfectly reasonable!

Liability insurance for £60? I wish just been getting quotes for mine coming in at around £750

Like I said I will go and find this buck and double check it's the same one,I didn't stalk there last year because they had disappeared,was 1 doe,not sure where they went,thought they had been poached as did the farmer,on the last 3 visits foxing they are there,15 plus on 200 acres,not much as cover goes,they're field roe really,easy stalking,could have shot this buck lots of times but I didn't because it was the only one I was seeing,my mate did see a younger one there last week,no more questions or private messages until I've seen confirmed and spoken to farmer,atb swarovski

JOIN - - SACS

Look at the business membership. £55 sorry.
Taken from their web site....Details
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For members who provide sporting opportunities for others, such as sporting agents. In this case, the insurance cover extends to the provision of these facilities, provided that the business member agrees to enroll his clients as SACS members.

for someone like me with 2-300 clients that would be an expensive option at £35 a go per member.
as a one off cheaper but with a one off most would risk no insurance i feel.
[/FONT]

now I'm a little concerned? How does 'provided that the business member agrees to enroll his clients as SACS members.' change the validily of your liability insurance?

I have the business insurance so where do I stand since I'd assumed that providing a guest has their own generic insurance we're all good and covered?

now I'm a little concerned? How does 'provided that the business member agrees to enroll his clients as SACS members.' change the validily of your liability insurance?

I have the business insurance so where do I stand since I'd assumed that providing a guest has their own generic insurance we're all good and covered?
Paul like all insurances we only know how good they are when we need them.
I would be aware as many "thrown in" insurances are void the minute a client hands money over, as its upto you to cover him.
Non of us jump on a bus and expect to insure ourselves for the journey, the company providing service does this for us.
Go the cheap route and it will have more "unknown" pitfalls.
Get a proper company to cover you, not as an incentive to join a group.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be very good cover for a full time professional but for a one off its ok.

Nae luck Paul!! Sorry to have brought that to your attention!! :)

I checked paperwork on my gold and it scored 138.46,it was a good weight,almost perfectly symmetrical,it lost some points on pearling and something else but scored 4 out of 5 in the last bit which sort of contradicts 3 other scores

Back