peep sights

User00003

thoughts on installing a Skinner (lo pro) rear peep sight/aperture as a retrofit on CZ/BRNO ZKK's post '90 models that did/does not come with the flip up rear peep sights. If using hilver rings the sight I guess can be neatly drill/tapped on the back of the mount block and sit comfortably behind so if need/want be, you can take the rings off (roll-off style)) and shoot with iron sights. of course you'd want the 3 leaf rear barrel sights installed as well...

just toying with the idea on a .375H&H post '90's BRNO ZKK60(1?) that does not have the aperture.

don't know what it is, but I have this new found love for BRNO's.:love:

Also, any BRNO owners know where to find an original/replica rear barrel sight and hood for a Mod2 .22LR?

You've confused me PKL. You want to put an aperture rear sight on the rifle and a three leaf rear sight?

well, yes - LOL. the thought was to have the peep sight on the rear receiver block the the 3 leaf sight on the rear barrel sight. maybe it's a crazy thought, but I'm pretty sure the pre-90's had both the rear peep sight and the 3 leaf sights + the front sight and hood.

I have seen several older Brno rifles that had the aperture sight fitted but I am fairly sure that this was the only rear sight fitted to the rifle. If you think about it you couldn't use both types of rear sight could you unless both were able to fold completely out of the sight line.

I once came across a rare BSA rifle is was a model 1923 Hi Velocity sporting rifle in 330 BSA. One the barrel it had stand and leaves and in the rear bridge a twin pop up peep sight. It had pop up arms for two different distances.

Now on Page 68 on John Knibbs books is a Black & White picture of the Model 1923 and that too has a rear sight on the barrel although it appears to be a tangent type but it also shows the pop up aperture popped up in the rear bridge.

I was not sure what I was looking at and had not got enough money to purchase at the time nor the required variation so went away to do some digging. The shop was not local either so quite a drive. I was only there as I saw they had some RWS 6.5x54MS ammunition for sale when i saw the rifle on display. once I had found out what it was I went back only to find not only the rifle gone but the shop had gone too. Have never been able to find out what happened to the stock of why it closed :banghead: :cry:.

Many old rifles had the leaf sights as well as a peep. The peep sight is to sharpen the focus on the leaf and foresight. I have noticed that now I am over forty I would struggle to use open sights, whereas as a boy I recall the target, front sight and back sight all beng in focus!

Many old rifles had the leaf sights as well as a peep. The peep sight is to sharpen the focus on the leaf and foresight. I have noticed that now I am over forty I would struggle to use open sights, whereas as a boy I recall the target, front sight and back sight all beng in focus!

It is unlikely that a three leaf sight and a peep would call for the same front sight unless your tallest folding leaf and your peep occupied the same sight plane, but then the receiver sight would always be in the way. I use peeps quite a bit and find them very accurate, but the barrel mounted rear sight becomes moot due to the difference in height between the receiver mounted peep and the barrel mounted rear sight. Of course, few of my rifles have three leaf express sights, but many have receiver sights. In my experience, practically speaking, it's either one or the other, but not both.

Now, I have a Redfield scope base that has a folding aperture sight built into the rear end incase the scope goes belly up. It requires, however, a very tall front sight, so I haven't used it.~Muir

Back