Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks - bipods etc.

Shooting sticks - bipods etc.

I've used a harris bipod for several years for range work and foxing for several years...

Now that I am getting into stalking I would like advice on Sticks (tripod type).

Is there any benefit to paying over a hundred punds for a set when bushwear sell there own brand for under 40?

And do I absolutely need a set? or will I get by without them or a bipod on my rifle....

Hi Steve

Personally I hate shooting stick as you run out of arms trying to get your rifle in position, bins out the way and stick clacking around. In Africa they work great as you have a guy carry them for you.
    I have a huge range of sticks in the corner of the garage along with the harris bipod in my roe sack. Practice using improvisational rests etc
    On support I do recommend is a very ridgid home made shooting stick about 37" high. Its short eough to rest on you leg while you glass the fields and super steady for kneeling/sitting shots out to 150m. Excellent for shooting over stubble/crops where the harris is too short. Here is the link for some examples.

By the way it cost nothing to make. I personally dont have the spoon attached, weight reduction

hi Steveoh
    i started off with a set of sticks i made with 2 green plastic coated metal poles i bought from the local garden centre cost 2.50 each found a nut and bolt couple of washers drilled a hole through each bolted together job done essential piece of kit for getting a steady aim when a deer walks out in front from nowhere, now have bought a set of adjustable 3xmi bipod sticks from ebay they cost 15 just imagine trying to freehand a deer or fox at 80+ yards when buckfever kicks in.
    tripods are a litte slower and a bit more difficult to set up but you will see the benefit of a set of sticks (single,bipod or tripod) the cost is up to you
    good luck in whatever you choose

hi steveoh, with regards to you're query re: sticks, I quite agree with the other comments (not enough hands), and damn things getting in the way!. Being new to stalking myself, I have shot 3 deer so far off sticks (using bipod), for me, it has made a difference to taking a shot or not. Remember, if you have them with you, you have the choice. If you can get past having another damn thing to carry!. Hope this helps.......Paul

One of the problems with kit is that if you become dependant on it it can do a real head job on you if it fails.
    Kit is an addiction all hunters suffer from,be it knives, laser range finders, cleaning protocals etc etc. I have them all.
    My advice is to hone your marksmanship without sicks, bipods,monopods, sandbags etc etc etc.
    Learn to stalk in close eough to take the shot without all the aids, practice offhand shooting unsupported and you will be suprised how your stalking will improveand become real hunting rather than sniper school.
    I learned this lesson in Africa when the rifle I borrowed was so crap I could not trust in over 100 yds (split stock and jumpy reticule) so I had to get v. close before I could safely take the shot. If you use shooting sticks then take them to the range and practice, as your POA/POI will alter (sometimes considerably)
    IMHO the DCS1 shooting test should be without artificial support as having assisted on quite a few test most of the problems come from waving sticks around, and incorrect height adjustments leading to bad shooting positions.
    Just my tuppence worth

very interesting point there mark when i was in africa we were expected to freehand so we had an evening on rock dassie and springhare to pratice on it cost me 2 reedbuck and a kudu bull not having my trusted sticks very expensive lesson that was , never stalk with out them or a bipod now, atleast steveoh you choice to learn either way from the start go for it you hav nothing to lose

Sorry to hear about your experience in Africa. We had sticks and I do like to use them in Africa but it was the rifle that was **** but too late to do anything about. I think shooting sticks are necessary in Africa due to the thickness/height of the vegetation making kneeling/siting shots very difficult though not impossible but it is a bit like threading a needle.

By all means use sticks/tripods etc Steve but also spend a lot of time practicing so if you are by circumstance without, such as the example Stone gave you stand the best chance of a successful hunt. When you start having to pay for pins/paint hunting trips can really start to hurt.

please dont be sorry i had the time of my life i shot 3 reed buck, 1 pharrly buck, 2 blesbok, 3 springbok ,1 steenbok, 1kudu(cow), 2 baboon of which we only picked 1 as they turned on us and forced us to retreat never f*ck with a troop of 40+ baboons who were a little pissed. countless rock dassies and springhares and 1 porkypig(porcupine) if you ever get this chance steveoh take it mind you i got mine cheap shan't say how much but there was change out of 2000 including the flight probaly will never happen again

I use a single hazel stick about 7 ft long, its fine and it was free

Shotting sticks - I too use the green garden cane variety but held together with a loop of bungee cord wrapped several time around. I keep it near the top, but takes two secs to slide for sitting or Kneeling show. Most of my Roe stalking I need to take standing shots - a) to get over cover, but also b) to ensure I am shooting down inot the ground. The stick become second nature and use for steadying binoculars, pushing aside brambles etc etc.

I also have B-square Bipod which only tend to use out on the hill, but like yesterday, when trying to get solid on long heather, wish had shooting sticks with me. The bipod stays on the rifle and is most useful for just putting the rifle down. I used to just use the sling for support, and or find a rock, hump or whatever. I am debating whether to get a differnet Bipod with much longer legs for sitting shots etc.

Heym sr20