Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Red - three shots needed

Large Red - three shots needed

I had a great stalk which culminated in shooting a very large eleven point stag.

However I was rather upset that the beast wasn't killed cleanly.

The first shot was taken at 200m off a bipod, the beast was broadside, and the shot struck half way up the body behind the shoulder. High for a heart shot, but in my experience of roe, muntjac and fallow, I was expecting the beast to drop fairly quickly.

Unfortunately the old boy just stood there while the rest of them buggered off. I waited for what seemed like an eternity before realising he needed another shot. I manoevered to get another broadside shot and put another one into the engine room, this time from about 150m. He reacted to the shot more conventionally and trotted off into a valley before collapsing. When I got to him he still had plenty of life in him, again I waited too long, before realising I had to finish him off with a neck shot.

This was not the way I would have wished to take such a magnificent beast and has got me thinking what I could do better next time. Obviously I shouldn't have dithered as I did, and followed up more quickly, but there are other factors I'm not sure about.

I was using a 6.5 x 55 with Norma 120g BT, would my .308 with Norma 150g BT have really made much difference? (The reason I took the smaller rifle, is that I was anticipating longer shots on the hill, and the rifle is super accurate)

Was it just bad luck? I was happy with where the bullets struck, except aiming lower for the heart, I don't really know how I could have improved bullet placement.

Do reds take a lot more killing? I haven't noticed any correlation between size and toughness before, except perhaps the opposite, with munties.

Whilst I probably average thirty deer a year, I will only shoot one stag a year, so any advice would be appreciated for next time.
    Last edited by Bestman; 08-07-2012 at 10:23.

Back to the old "are BT's suitable for deer?" debate.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I shot a large red stag last year with 150 bts in a ,308 last year at about 80yds smack in the engine room it just looked at me as if to say what was that !, it dropped with a second shot to the neck but put me off the .308 and bt's for good.

Out of interest, what MV are you getting with the 120gn BTs and how did the pluck look for damage? Did they exit? Im also interested to hear peoples thoughts.

ballistic tip's could be your problem there.
    Last edited by ELRIG; 08-07-2012 at 10:41.

I have no idea on the technical aspects,so am looking forward to the considered response from the experience this site offers, but admire your honesty in your post,well done you.

I have found this to be typical of 120gr BT and in particular of factory offerings.

The 6.5 is a bit of a pedestrian compared to the likes of the 270 & 25-06 firing simular bullet weights you would be much better using a 100gr BT in the 6.5

Reds do not take any killing I have killed 100's using nothing more than a 243 and 70gr BT's

Ballistic Tips are absolutely fine for big reds or bigger Pere David deer, i have shot a lot of both of them with a 130gr BT in my .270. IMO the problem here is the 6.5x55 is rather anaemic with low pressure factory ammo, this combined with the light bullet weight and the 6.5's inherent tendency to penetrate, i would imagine you have just pencilled him as opposed to imparting shock.

My 150 bt exited after passing through the engine room, the second shot killed it but when i cut the head off the flattened bal tip fell out of the vertibrea still have it somewhere. they were traveling at about 2,650fps.