Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever done a favour and wished you hadn't?

Have you ever done a favour and wished you hadn't?

Had a call from a mate who needed an ashtree cut down as it overhung the conservatory to the rear of his house, It'll be easy he said,no ladder work he said, i've got a cherry picker he said, i would do it myself but i have vertigo he said, oh ok i said, as it's you i'll do it i said,(bigmistake) all went well till i was 35-40ft up the last trunk ready to drop the the top off, just slewing closer to the tree and the arm stopped moving, try all the levers, nothing, check the safety cut out, all ok, stop the engine, restart and try again, nothing, OH POOH! try the energency manual winding handle, its gone missing, bugger! try the electrical back-up system,this was buggered and disabled, oh crap,ok don't panic, consider calling Trumpton (fire brigade) Nah don't want to do that i'll never live it down.
    Called the fitter out and had an hour and a half wait for him to turn out, he eventually rewired the electrical backup system and got me down, PHEW.
    The moral of this story?
    What do you recon?
    Attachment 17277

Can you bring it tonight Tony?? We could shoot the whole orchard from there

ATB Steve

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    T - I'm not laughing - no, really I'm not........
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

and here's me thinking you were going to say the tree fell but via the conservatory! now that would of been a pisser! but as long as no one got hurt! happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    T - I'm not laughing - no, really I'm not........
    Yeh,i believe you, thousands wouldn't, look out for that low flying pig Bet you fell off your seat?

can not beat a lovely bit of ash for the stove!

I thought this was going to be another Tall Tale to start with, and i wasn't wrong!

Moral is don't use an old sh*t van mounted picker, hire one that's tested, is upto date and most importantly safe.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.