deer gambrel

Mr Lewis,
any chance of seeing photos of your newest design ?
would you also be kind enough to tell us (or pm me) what size of box section, and any other material you use.
i am considering trying to make 1, but i am useless at it unless its all written down in front of me !
cheers

;)

If your only doing small stuff save yourself £70 and get some rope and a gambrel and do it from any tree.

Just seen this hit the market, and about to order one myself...

BushWear: Napier Apex Auto Click

Cheers
iain

Iain

Not so sure about this, but interested to hear your experiences.

"Very often the animal can be accessed by vehicle" - not where I stalk it can't, and that's in soft, Southern Berkshire!

Also, how many 4x4's have vertical lifting tailgates? My Shogun doesn't, neither does the Land Rover or Land Cruiser. I would think something that fits on a towing hitch might be better.

I now do a suspended gralloch off a handy branch - saves me £70 and all the aggro of trying to get the car near the deer.

Dom

Dom

I've got a Jeep, so no issues with the boot.

Agreed that branches are easier to come by, but I seem completely inept at getting a rope over a decent branch, then using the 4-in-1 winch, so end up just hoisting the b*gger onto my back, to then drag it up by plain muscle and will power...

If it's easy, I'll write it up. If not, then I'll not say another word, and someone, somewhere will be getting an eBay bargain!

Of course, it would just be easier to learn to gralloch on the ground... Do you know, I might just give it a couple of months, and let someone else make a judgement call on this

Cheers
iain

Iain

I've always gralloched on the ground until recently, but do find the suspended gralloch results in a cleaner carcass. For the suspended gralloch I use a wire cable secured with a carabiner, onto which I hang a folding gambrel. Mind you, I only shoot roe and muntjac ;)

If you fancy a session on gralloching on the ground, let me know.

​Dom

Iain

I've always gralloched on the ground until recently, but do find the suspended gralloch results in a cleaner carcass. For the suspended gralloch I use a wire cable secured with a carabiner, onto which I hang a folding gambrel. Mind you, I only shoot roe and muntjac ;)

If you fancy a session on gralloching on the ground, let me know.

​Dom

Dom

You're on!

Let's grab a coffee sometime soon (next one's on me) and get a date in the diary to get out of the office for the day

Thanks in advance
iain

I've got one of the David Stretton ones - it makes life very easy for fallow but it's a bit over engineered for anything else. It takes seconds to put up, but it is quite substantial and takes up a fair bit of space in the motor...

I've got one of the David Stretton ones - it makes life very easy for fallow but it's a bit over engineered for anything else. It takes seconds to put up, but it is quite substantial and takes up a fair bit of space in the motor...

I agree with this assessment. I use mine mainly for Fallow but it has also had some big Reds on it. Unfortunately it is not designed to pivot round so you cannot swing the field-dressed carcass into the back of the truck. So I use a small trailer that I push under the suspended carcass then lower it into it. Ideally I would like to be able to swing the carcass over the back of the truck and lower it in, thus dispensing with the need to pull the trailer.

I agree with this assessment. I use mine mainly for Fallow but it has also had some big Reds on it. Unfortunately it is not designed to pivot round so you cannot swing the field-dressed carcass into the back of the truck. So I use a small trailer that I push under the suspended carcass then lower it into it. Ideally I would like to be able to swing the carcass over the back of the truck and lower it in, thus dispensing with the need to pull the trailer.

Why not carry a couple of planks to form a ramp and use either a come-along or even a 12V ATV winch to drag the carcass in the back? I should add that personally, I wouldn't do a suspended gralloch on something as large as a Red, not in the field, anyway..

There is now a pivoting david stretton one I notice don his website to swing it into the truck....

Iain Not so sure about this, but interested to hear your experiences. "Very often the animal can be accessed by vehicle" - not where I stalk it can't, and that's in soft, Southern Berkshire! Also, how many 4x4's have vertical lifting tailgates? My Shogun doesn't, neither does the Land Rover or Land Cruiser. I would think something that fits on a towing hitch might be better. I now do a suspended gralloch off a handy branch - saves me £70 and all the aggro of trying to get the car near the deer. Dom

Have been doing it this way for some years now, gambrel with a small carabiner attached clicks into the door catch & a piece of grooved 4x2 to support the tailgate

Photo taken in 2010

DSCN2531-1.jpg

Have been doing it this way for some years now, gambrel with a small carabiner attached clicks into the door catch & a piece of grooved 4x2 to support the tailgate

Photo taken in 2010

DSCN2531-1.jpg

Chris

You've just saved me £70, less the cost of a decent carabiner (which is probably about £75, you b*gger...)

Many thanks
iain

Ian if you want a bar for the centre with a hole for a shackle to gambrel and caribiner for the top i can send you some 25x25 box just give me the overall size you want and if you need it to sleeve together i can do you that , cant think it would be any more than£25 but if you give me an exact size to go on, atb wayne

Ian if you want a bar for the centre with a hole for a shackle to gambrel and caribiner for the top i can send you some 25x25 box just give me the overall size you want and if you need it to sleeve together i can do you that , cant think it would be any more than£25 but if you give me an exact size to go on, atb wayne

Wayne, thanks for the kind offer. I have a couple of gambrels and the wood, just need to get the saw out and grab a carabiner from the local outdoor retailer

Cheers
iain

Cheers
iain

Back