Rifle carry balance

trimix

Ive found that with the rifle with (a very light maxim 4) mod and bipod that when slung the rifle falls back at a very uncomfortable/unsafe angle.

Do most of you sling a rifle with just the mod fitted?

Other thoughts most welcome!!

Ive found that with the rifle with (a very light maxim 4) mod and bipod that when slung the rifle falls back at a very uncomfortable/unsafe angle.

Do most of you sling a rifle with just the mod fitted?

Other thoughts most welcome!!

I carry mine upside down because of that. I'm quite tall though, so I can comfortably

I don't fit a bipod on my rifles anymore for this exact reason.

My rifle sits perfectly now without a pod.

Fit a swivel stud under the pistol grip and you will find it ballances much better

Carrying the rifle muzzle down is dangerous so much so it is even shown on the DSC2 Witness briefings and Candidate info as dangerous practice

If you want to try it before altering your stock just cable tie the sling to the pistol grip to try it

Fit a swivel stud under the pistol grip and you will find it ballances much better

Carrying the rifle muzzle down is dangerous so much so it is even shown on the DSC2 Witness briefings and Candidate info as dangerous practice

If you want to try it before altering your stock just cable tie the sling to the pistol grip to try it

Why is it dangerous and why do they teach it in dsc1?

I can think of at least one, very experienced person on here who prefers you to use a downward carry if you are stalking with him, its something to do with an aversion to looking down the barrel of a rifle that has rotated backwards off the shoulder!
PS you can tape your muzzle if you feel it is likely to become plugged.

They do teach it on the dsc1. I did mine a few weeks ago, carried my rifle muzzle down and passed the safety test with no problems.If you are concerned about plugging your barrel the old black tape trick works well.

They dont teach it on DSC1 and its dangerous as you are likely to pug your muzzle

They DO teach it on dsc1, they also teach you to check that its not plugged. I'm also six foot four, the muzzle is nowhere near the ground. Aside from the fact that I'm constantly aware that plugging it may be a possibility so extra care is taken. Safer than the rifle that points directly behind you when you look through your binos.

Try carrying muzzle down. The more weight you add to the muzzle end the more unbalanced a sporting rifle becomes. I prefer to stalk without mod and bi-pod with my lighter rifles but I do add a mod and occasionally a bipod to my SSG.

I find it far easier putting a rifle up into the sticks with it slung muzzle down (Demonstrated by yours truly in 'Muntjac-managing an alien species' by C Smith-Jones). I also prefer those I am stalking with to do the same if they are ahead of me as I don't like looking down the barrel of a rifle made ready.

It has not been in any Witness brief I have been on and I can't find it in any handbooks.

If you are carrying a rifle muzzle down and the barrel ploughs into the deck on a stalk then it doesn't prove its dangerous to carry muzzle down it just proves your inexperience. If it wasn't noticed and rectified by a candidate this would be an issue from a safety point of view on any DSC2 stalk.

Great idea Mr Lewis..Cable tie experiment commencing!

They dont teach it on DSC1 and its dangerous as you are likely to pug your muzzle

We were specifically asked to do so on the safety walk, reasoning being no matter what you usually do it can't then slide off your shoulder and point at the examiner, getting you your instant fail.

Back