Same calibre multiple rifles

clivecleaver

Does anyone know the rules to owning multiple rifles of the same calibre?

E.g. I currently have a .243 on my ticket and have the rifle. Can I go and buy another .243 without applying for anything?

Assuming you are living in the UK and have a UK FAC - No. If you do you will then have two .243 rifles, which is one more than you are licensed for.

i am in the uk its just a variation takes for ever where i live and i fancied changing my 243. paperwork!! nightmare.

I've never done a one for one swap. I understand how it is supposed to happen but I don't know how it works in practice. I suspect that each Force has it's own little foibles. I'm sure someone on here will have been through the mill, so if you post which force you are dealing with they may be able to give you the inside story.

firearms laws

Bandit Country said:
I've never done a one for one swap. I understand how it is supposed to happen but I don't know how it works in practice. I suspect that each Force has it's own little foibles. I'm sure someone on here will have been through the mill, so if you post which force you are dealing with they may be able to give you the inside story.
Why should we have to sit still for different forces interpreting UK law as they see fit?, Does the law change once your over the county line?

Bandit Country said:
Why should we have to sit still for different forces interpreting UK law as they see fit?, Does the law change once your over the county line?

Around the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire police authorities the usual course of action is to find someone to purchase your rifle (might be private or R.F.D ) you then have seven days to notify your police authority you have sold it and apply for a one 4 one variation at no cost. This should be the same for all authorities but to be 100% sure speak to your own F.O.
Sorry forgot to say a Firearms certificate is different from a shotgun certificate in as much as you can only put on your firearms licence the calibre and amount of firearms that have been agreed by your police authority. On your shotgun certificate you can buy as many guns as your security arrangements allow. Again check with your F.O that's what he's paid for.
paul

pw7x57 is 100% right to my knowlage and the one for one is free altho if you want to buy a second .243 and own 2 at he same time you will have to apply for a variation and that you will have to pay for (i think its about £30 but i cant honestly remember) and the variation may take weeks to cone back i live in wiltshire and the coppers down here are very good with firarms licensing and i even mayaged to push my .308 varation forward by going and collecting it from them but i think in general these people will not be rushed

same rifles

I am changing one of my rifles at the moment, as it will probably happen at the game fare ( hopeful of cheaper price) I have been instructed by my force, Sussex, to apply for a temp permit, on which my 308 details will be listed. they then put on my new 308, along with the new moderator on my existing firearm certificate, plus any extras that I require.
The temp license is valid for one month from date of issue,BUT if you go down this road you are not allowed to use the original rifle from that date ,as the permit only allows you to possess.
This is the only way to be able to keep my own rifle and show it to dealers to get the best deal on part exchange.
total cost £26 for variation.
Hope this helps

Robin,

I have a good relationship with my chosen RFD. If I was in your position I would have put in for a One For One variation and put my existing rifle "into storage" with my RFD. Can still use it until I get another on my FAC. Only taking my own rifle "out" for a brief time and it "is" still on my FAC.

Once I get my new "same calibre" on my FAC I would expect a while before it would be called in for reprinting and the original rifle removed....

Original may have been sold by then or still "stored at RFD".

Either way I comply with the rules...

Stan

The current in Scotland Is you can only own (1) weapon of the caliber stated on your certificate .

When it comes to.22 you can have (1) .22 bolt action rifle and (1).22 semi auto rifle .when it comes to a variation for a .243 1 for 1 you don't have a problem and you don't get charged ,they will do it while you wait .

The RFD or person who has purchased the weapon must notify the police to say they have the weapon and you the seller must notify the police with your details and the buyers details , before you purchase lent or given the other weapon.

If you still have the weapon in you possession you will be charged with illegally holding a firearm .

What its like below the hole in the wall I ain't go a clue .

Until recently I owned two .243 rifles, one heavy barrel and one Sporter and two Sporting .308 rifles, one with a 3-12x50 scope mounted on it and one with a 1.2-4x24 scope mounted on it.
The reason I gave for each was different, heavy barrel use from vehicle for vermin/fox, Sporter barrel for normal woodland stalking.
.308 with 'normal' scope for Stalking and the other for Driven Game, Two .308 rifles saved re-zeroing every time I wanted to Stalk or needed it for Driven.
I recently got rid of three rifles, 2 x .243 and one .308 and wanted to replace them with a 'Switch barrel' rifle in .243 and 30-06.
I sold two rifles privately and the other went to an RFD.
Two days after disposal, I took the 'disposed of' paperwork to the Police HQ and asked them to check my application for the variation to acquire the other two calibres paperwork to make sure I had filled it out properly as I didn't want to be without the .243 for long.
The chap from the Firearms department looked at the paperwork, nodded and said "yes that looks Ok I'll deal with this" as I was walking away he then said "Oh have you got a few minutes, I'll do this now"
I looked at my watch, out of habit, and said yes.
Eleven minutes later I was walking out of Devises Police HQ with a new FC with all my 'disposed of' taken off and 'authorised to acquire' entered on it.
How was that for service from the Wiltshire Firearms Department. :D

PS I'm not a Mason ;)

Is it still a one for one (ie free and quick) if you want to change the calibre of the rifle?

So sell the rifle you have got, change the calibre you are allowed for another similar one (ie not .222 to .300 win mag) and then pick the new rifle up once it comes through

Dan

My variations were free as it was a 'one for one'
I did get a different calibre but technically it was the same as it was only the case that changed ie .308 changed for a 30-06
I would have thought tho, that any calibre used for Deer could be changed on a 'one for one' basis.
There might be a problem if you are restricted to certain land and that land is only cleared for a particular calibre but with an 'open' certificate I can see no problems.
I should imagine it would work the same way within the group of calibres classed as Vermin/fox calibres ie .22 centre fires.

Every force seems to make up their own rules as they go along. I for instance have 4 rifles chambered for the 270 Win cartridge but can only use one of them for stalking and one other for range practice. They list them by serial number in the condiditions ;)

I have asked them what makes the other two too dangerous to shoot but still have not gotten anaswer to that question :rolleyes:

The county I lived in before just listed the calibres :rolleyes: chamberings/cartridges actually but never mind, that could be used in stalkign and fox or vermin shooting it was then up to me the shooter to decide which was best for the particular foray but not this lot of numpties.

I recently agreed to sell my HB Sako .243 & Swarvoski scope to a chap who already had another .243 .
I told him to put his own into a local dealer `for sale` and apply for the free `one-for-one`sending in a copy of the dealers receipt at the same time.
This variation came through with no problems.
He then appeared here and we did the face to face transactions , I took his money [£1500] and off he went with his new rifle.

I went to our Police the next day with a letter stating his details and the sale and asked them to delete the Sako from my records and add one more .243 to be purchased. [one-for-one free of charge]
My cert was returned varied a week or so later.
I then contacted the dealer and got his .243 on my cert. having agreed to buy it for £100 complete with scope.
I have straightened up the slopey/scope and am itching to try it out.

Weather is crap here at the moment though !

[ Edited. I forgot to mention I have a Tikka T3 .243 also. ]

HWH.

Back