stock recomendations

shaun22/250

Im looking to replace my factory synthetic stock on my winchester 70 .270. The main reason being the factory stock has some flex especialy once the barrel warms up. This came to light when i was zeroing the other eve. after 5 or 6 rounds i noticed if i held the butt with the rifle on the bipod and moved the butt from side to side the barrel would move in the channel to the point where it touched either side. I know in the normal stalking use 1 or 2 shots will be the norm but would still like to loose the flex. Now im not made of money so im on a budget which dosnt help. i have a few options the first and the cheapest a Houge then a Bell & Carlson
o
r the HS Precision the most expensive. Now none of these will post direct to the uk but i have a contact in the states i can have them sent to then he can forwaed to me. so bearing in mind the postage cost and the possibility of vat/duty on arrival would the Houge be better than the factory on a budget? i dont want a 1000 yard target rifle just a consistent stalking one.

It amazes me that people still not only put up with such rubbishy flexible stocks but actually encourage the manufacturers by buying them.

Have you considered wood? It's won't flex and it's warm to the touch.

try Boyds, they ship to the UK and offer a good value laminate stock that is factory milled to various actions.

It amazes me that people still not only put up with such rubbishy flexible stocks but actually encourage the manufacturers by buying them.

Have you considered wood? It's won't flex and it's warm to the touch.
If it were me I would not stop crying :cry:

Did I mention I hate plastic stocks.

I just dont like to get wooden stocks wet and as i have to pay for stalking outings i will go rain or shine or loose my booking fee.

Strange you know that in Canada those that have to rely upon their rifles for their survival like teh Rangers still use wood and as a lot of modern rifle actions refuse to operate in the extreme cold and damp they were still using newly built Lee Enfield based rifles.

I too stalk normally by the paid/booked day outing. On one of them after Muntjac the rain was to bad we had to use the wood as shelter best we could and used a portable "trellis" type twin high seat. Just as the light was giving out a young Buck ventured out onto the Corn and nice tender young beast he was too.

The rain was actually running out of the bottom of the magzaine floor plate on my Brno ZKK 601. We wiped it off with paper towels and stood it muzzle down of more towels tio drain while we ate dinner then into the slip for the 100+ mile drive home. Once homme out of the slip which was left hanging open from the shower curtain rail to dry out and the rilfe was stripped down to dry it out. I poured boiling water through the barrel a whole kettle full and that dried the little nooks and crannies around the iron sights then while it was hot I cleaned the bore and action. The bolt was stripped and dried out too. The stock was dried off and stood on it's fore tip to drain over night. The put back together with a fine light coating of gun oil.

The rifle is still fine and it it got that wet again I would not worry just do the same once more. It's not really a hardship just normal maintenance if one thinks about it.

What with the Monsoon type weather we had better get used to being wet.

That's the problem with the newer Winchesters, if it is the Duratouch its just a nasty plastic stock like most of the other manufacturers use, Older Winny's have the B&C or HS Precision composite stocks, very solid indeed. As for wood, I would have Composite every time, much more stable in all weathers and temps.
I have a McMillan on my .223 which replaced a laminate standard version, got that from Jackson's

Last edited:
Had a Winchester mod 70 sealth a couple of years back. Soild h&s stock on it. Nothing fancy but superb stock.

That would get my vote

my coyote lite has the Bell and Carlson and thats solid. oh well best bite the bullet and get something on order

Wise choice, dont listen to the naysayer`s.
I have the same stock on my 7mm rem mag a rifle that gets used. Same colour too was my choice to help remain inconspicuous.
I did without trying it out have it pro bedded. My original B+C stock was on the rifle for 18 years prior to this one,I changed it for a colour reason and still have it waiting for another Mod 70 LA to come up in the ads.
I also have a B+C on my .358 Norma Mag,its a killer stock too.To handle the extra boost I have the ally pillar bedded model.

These syn stocks handle everything that is thrown at them weather wise and recoil wise.I have a Mac on my 300WM and prefer the B+C

Back