Two Rifles of same calibre fun.

Anson Deeley

I seem to be meeting with some resistance trying to do a one for one variation to allow me to acquire a second .308 rifle. I admit I am fortunate that I have .243, .270, .308 and .375 fullbore rifles on ticket but it seems to be getting increasingly harder to get two rifles of the same calibre.
Years ago, I had four different .44 mag revolvers and no problem.
My existing .308 rifle is a very short and light Browning Lever Rifle, fitted with a low powered scope it is ideal for woodland stalking or can be carried all day. The .308 rifle I wish to acquire is a full length, heavier action better suited for high seat work, longer shots and the fitting of a moderator. I have just sent a letter similar to this to justify the variation so we'll have to see how I get on.
The two guns are as different as chalk and cheese (that is unless you buy Tesco Value Cheddar, where the difference would be hard to tell ! )
It's ironic, if it was a 30-06 I wanted I'm certain there would not be a problem.
I asked if we could call one a 7.62, would that overcome the problem ? I'm not sure they understood.
Let's see what transpires. Any ideas anyone ?

I've never tried to kill anything with Tesco's Value Chedder so I can't help - sorry. What are the terminal ballistics like?

Should have no problem now you have put it in writing and given good reasons.

I had 3 .22lr's at one point all for target shooting of different types

Using them with different sights/different ranges was a good enough reason for them.

If not get BASC involved :)

Bandit country - Tesco try to kill people every day with their value chedder, try it!

I have also had the same calibre "issue" seems the firearms licensing dept dont actually understand firearms, only the process they administer.

"My existing .308 rifle is a very short and light Browning Lever Rifle, fitted with a low powered scope it is ideal for woodland stalking or can be carried all day. The .308 rifle I wish to acquire is a full length, heavier action better suited for high seat work, longer shots and the fitting of a moderator."

Says it all really, show need.

In my case I pointed out that I shot over open sights in close woodland at Reds with a heavy bullet.

I also chose to shoot lighter bullets over longer ranges at Roe and wanted to use a moderator in order to avoid "distress" to neighbours.

Both situations were not compatible with a single rifle. I pointed out that "I could have gone for an additional calibre" but elected to stay with the same calibre in order to better manage marksmanship skills and usual H&S issues over familiarity etc.

Show "need" not desire.

Stan

Thanks for those interesting points. I think I've covered it pretty comprehensively in my letter to them. Let's see what happens.
As for Tesco Value Cheddar it is like death, experienced once, rarely twice !

My ticket came back today with the additional .308 on it. I think my letter more than justified it.
Next project is get .375 expanding ammo on my ticket !

You will find that once they "allow" you to shoot the .375 in the UK it will be for zeroing only etc. and with non expanding ammunition.

Look for the phrase about the gun AND ammunition being carried etc. to port of embarkation. Usually follwed by permission to zero etc.

You will also notice that the bottom section of the front page will "allow" you to acquire expanding and non expanding ammunition in the calibres authorised by this certificate (or words to effect).

Turn page over.

Under "2. Ammunition including etc"

If you are allowed to possess, purchase or acquire......

I have found that RFD will sell me expanding ammunition.......

There is no explicit restriction on my FAC about ammunition type, only on what type I may shoot in the UK :)

Stan

two same calibre

doghound said:
Bandit country - Tesco try to kill people every day with their value chedder, try it!

I have also had the same calibre "issue" seems the firearms licensing dept dont actually understand firearms, only the process they administer.
If your lot understand anything , you have a world first! I asked for a 25.06 to shoot 80+ grain heads for Roe, as my .223 is twisted for low weight heads, it,s laser accurate as it is for Fox , they said "Youv'e applied for a TWENTYFIVEDOTOHSIX for Roe when you already have Roe on your .223!", no way could I get it across to them about the reasons for the application, next they say "You can have a.243", so I say "Ok!", as I have had one before, thinking I can still get round the problem, they phoned two days later saying,"You already have enough rifles/calibres" & in the next breath, "Write back in to us with a different good reason to aquire" In effect asking me to lie! Why do we have to sit still for different counties to interpret the UK laws in a personal feifdom fashion? :confused:

Steve,

You are asking for two seperate rifles in subtly different calibres/cartridge combinations.

YOU have to demonstrate in writing your particular need for them and the use for them.

Differing barrel length or weights etc. Moderated/open sights. TARGET use as well etc.

Use information (maps, photos) of your land or any additional opportunities.

A dedicated foxing rifle (plus Roe) as opposed to a general Roed/Fox?vermin rifle.

Your FEO has already intimated that you can have it, just show need, in writing ;)

Stan

P.S. The LAW on anything in any country is clear. Politicians craft the law, lawyers interpret it and Judges make the final call on the grammatical errors....

Back