Leg shots; I cannot believe it.

Now what I'd be interested in would be figures stating how über hard GWP's are on boar.
Eg how many get killed by boar every year compared to HS
One problem with wires,I love em too Cadex,they think they're invincible,until they come up against a boar
HS/BGS are the dog of choice for boar.
Yip cissy scent hounds,hehehe

Put money on it being better than yours or Morays if your going blindly in with every beast leg shot!:stir::rofl:
I'd put it at approx 90-95%
This is what Baron is trying to achieve
Education!
Not every leg shot beast should be followed immediately most as you'll see from my last post,are better left to stiffen,note most;)

No, it was not education I wanted to achieve but perfection.

If somebody has found a way to get leg shot deer( and I mean lower leg) in the bag and its works, say, 99 times out of a hundred than that method should be widely publicised and copied.

If it "only" works, say, 90 times out of 100 than I'll stick to my method.

But I totally agree that the reading of the situation by the handler is the clue.

Baron you see leg shoot or leg injuries are common and i my self believe you should not always believe what you read and there is no substitute to real life .
Deer with broken bones will initially go down and should be shot again or if you have a good dog (that will take hold) He will pull it down very quick otherwise you could be leaving an animal to suffer for long periods. Tell the chap to give me a phone baron and i will put him straight on the matter. ;)

6P spot on advice why leave the animal to suffer when a well trainer dog and it's owner can an do end the suffering. :tiphat:

If these continentals know so much about deer and stalking why is it that the Roe in there own countries are so poor and they all want to come to the UK to shoot quality roe ???

:tiphat:

If these continentals know so much about deer and stalking why is it that the Roe in there own countries are so poor and they all want to come to the UK to shoot quality roe ???

Because everybody has the right to walk in everybody's woods, hence the poor beasts never have a moment of piece and quiet. Soil in most places is not too good either.

Lastly because German hunters are very very keen to shoot roedeer they do not let them grow old enough. In the UK things are different.

It might come a surprise for you to read that if an HS bites anybody bar his handler during a trial when the Hound is next to the deer he found that is regarded as positive by the judges.

Only when he bites his own handler are points deducted.

Not quite what I would call "sissy scent hound types"

Is that true? That's quite impressive! (and a bit mad!)

leg shot fallow 2.jpg

this one was found 300 from the high seat on a movement day, the funny thing was the dog and i where called in to track a muntie from the same seat, time span was 6 hours and this poor doe was going no where, we did go on to find the muntie stone dead 400 yards from the seat, the man who shot the fallow had no idea he had hit it and guess what he was German...!!!

Attachments

• sue%20and%20ruby%201[1].jpg
    sue%20and%20ruby%201[1].jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 27
This roe went 1000 yards from the shot site, makes you wounder now they do it.

some of you may have seen this pic before as it is a couple of years old now.

Is that true? That's quite impressive! (and a bit mad!)

Yes, I found that quite amazing too. These hounds are no sissies.

Do not get me wrong. Biting is not encouraged, it is just the extreme form of protecting what it found.

If somebody has found a way to get leg shot deer( and I mean lower leg) in the bag and its works, say, 99 times out of a hundred than that method should be widely publicised and copied.

If it "only" works, say, 90 times out of 100 than I'll stick to my method.

I get straight after them and keep shooting till in the bag
Never lost one yet
So I am on 100%
But it would not surprise me if lower leg shot deer hav a good survival rate
The other thing to take into account is that some deer species react differently than others with the same type of shot wound
Roe , muntjac & CWD usually try and get to safety by means of cover and often in their own territory where possible
Fallow are a bit like reds and just keep going possibly covering miles not metres from experiences
Because they often try and keep up with the herd where the others are more small territorial groups or single territorial beasts
Roe from my experience only go distance if pushed from the start
What are the continental records regarding muntjac??

rta leg wound.jpg
This one was a rta and had a lower leg wound and had probaley been at the road side for some time before being distpatched, no telling what other wounds it had....

Back