Fitting a rifle safe

Gez

Had a call from my FLO yesterday - he's coming out for the interview on Tuesday morning.

That means that I have to fit my rifle safe over the weekend so its ready for him to inspect. For it to be flush against the wall, it looks like I'm going to have to cut a section of skirting board out.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this without causing too much damage, or any other solutions to the problem that have been acceptable?

Gez

It all depends on how anal they are. If they are asking for you to remove the skirting board, then the the only other thing is to fit it and fill the gaps behind the cabinet. Other than this, you need to remove the skirting board and fit the cabinet flush to the wll.

Good luck!!

J

I use a back saw to cut the skirting board. It's a bit of a fiddle cutting right down to the floor boards and you might need to improvise with a chisel towards the end but it saves having to remove the skirting board in order to cut it. Just put something against the wall to protect it above where you are cutting as it's quite hard to keep the blade away once you are nearly through!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85480...Hand Tools-_-FatMax Back Saw Jetcut 11Tpi 14"

Failing this your choices are mounting the safe above the skirting board (maybe make up a box to rest on) or make a board the same thickness as the skirting board to go behind the safe and bolt straight through to the wall with anchor bolts.

What they (should be) looking for is how resistant the whole set up is to forceable attack. Obviously, if the cabinet is not flush fitting then a jemmy or other lever tool can be inserted behind the cabinet. If you cover or fill the void then that should be OK - it certainly was in my case. All I did was ragbolt a flaming great chunk of timber to the wall to cover the gap.
TBH, as Jingzy says it will all be down to how anal the FLO is.

safe

i'd fill the gap with plywood and bolt straight through the safe and ply
into the wall as long as it is fixed to the stucture of the house
it should be OK
JayJay

i brought tools off axeminster. have to say there good. nothing to do with shooting but credit where credit due n all that :D

Back