30-06 Ackley Improved

Highlander

Mulling over the idea of a custom build in 30-06 ackley, pushing 180s. Does any one have any experience of using that calibre?
Alternatively may just opt to go for a normally aspirated 30-06, pushing 165s.

Thoughts much appreciated.

ATB

MB.

I have one. Don't bother. It has never given me anything in performance increase unless I used the slowest powders and then it was still at or under levels I could attain with other powders. This is my second 30-06 Ackley (the first being many years ago) and the only reason I bought it was that it was chambered in a fine rifle... and I was told it was still the original 30-06 chambering when I bought it. It had never been restamped for caliber designation. Had I known it was an IMP chambering I would probably have left it on the rack.~Muir

I have one. Don't bother. It has never given me anything in performance increase unless I used the slowest powders and then it was still at or under levels I could attain with other powders. This is my second 30-06 Ackley (the first being many years ago) and the only reason I bought it was that it was chambered in a fine rifle... and I was told it was still the original 30-06 chambering when I bought it. It had never been restamped for caliber designation. Had I known it was an IMP chambering I would probably have left it on the rack.~Muir

Ahh but Muir it's still a .30 calibre :D it's only the chamber and cartridge that have changed slightly not the calibre :stir:.

I have one and love it. 61.0 Grains of N160 gives me 2975fps with a 175 Berger Hunting. Cases now on 7th reload and still tight. Also feeds flawlessly from both my original Rem top loader and the replacement H-S Precision mag system.
If you are `in to` Rifles and Handloading and like to be a bit different then you will enjoy it. If not then stick with a standard 30-06.
Yorkie.

Thanks for the replies. Must admit having looked at the Nosler Reloading Manual , cannot see a huge advantage over the normally aspirated 30-06, other than reduced trimming.
Think I will stick with standard chambering.

Regards

HL

thanks for the replies. Must admit having looked at the nosler reloading manual , cannot see a huge advantage over the normally aspirated 30-06, other than reduced trimming.
Think i will stick with standard chambering.

Regards

hl

yeah right !!

a friend of mine has one, shoots 125 ballistic tips at 3400fps (27" lothar walther barrel in a bowers blueprinted remmy), , very, very accurate and flat shooting, apperently the perfect tool for managing wild fallow. i know he has tried the heavier bullets but not on live quarry, i think the accuracy was also excellent.

I'd be keen to know why it's the perfect tool for managing wild fallow over other calibres:confused:

Pkl,

I was referring to the tool, ie the rifle, scope and ammo combo – not just the calibre. It is perfect, in his opinion because of what he does with it. And he does it very well. The rifle was built with target rifle accuracy, it really does shoot 1 hole groups and the 125 bullets give you “hold on ear” accuracy out to stupid ranges. With the pm2 scope it wears and the ability to dial in extreme range shots, his productivity in the management of wild fallow has increased no end. Therefore, he thinks it is the perfect tool. It might be one thing being able to stalk up to them in the woods(which he is also very good at), but if they’re out in wide open downland fields you have to have the ability to reach out a little.

Body shots on roe and munjac are a bit messy, hence the reason i chose the 6.4x47L for my long range tool – however my longest cull is 130y shorter than his best, but i’m working on it!

I have one and love it. 61.0 Grains of N160 gives me 2975fps with a 175 Berger Hunting. Cases now on 7th reload and still tight. Also feeds flawlessly from both my original Rem top loader and the replacement H-S Precision mag system.
If you are `in to` Rifles and Handloading and like to be a bit different then you will enjoy it. If not then stick with a standard 30-06.
Yorkie.

I have seen this rifle perform, it is incredibly accurate with all bullets fed to it, sub quarter inch 3 shot groups are the norm and i have physically measured some even tighter, great rifle.

Ian.

Back