Black Powder Storage and Reloading Storage

NorthDorset

Hopefully someone in the same boat will know the answer.

I have read the explosive act and my head is now hurting.

I reload my centrefire ammunition. I store my powder in a small digital safe in a cupboard. Primers are in a plastic box held separately.

I have now applied for an explosives certificate to shoot Black Powder. Accordingly I have bought the expensive black powder storage box. It has a padlock on it and is currently under my bed.

FLO visit is Friday.

Any thoughts as to what I should be doing differently?

If you don't hold an explosives certificate please don't post!

Last edited:
I've had my BP cert. for 25 years & always kept the black stuff in a "proper" box in the house or secure outbuilding.
I've never had any positive statement from plod as to where it should or should not be, but also had no real problems with them either - mostly they just want to see the "approved" box and leave its location to me.

I tend to follow my own guidelines:-

1. It's best kept cool & dry in a ventilated space.
2. The box should have grab handles or ropes to facilitate quick handling should it be necessary.
3. It must be stored away from potential ignition sources (heat, chemicals, loaded ammunition, primers / percussion caps, electricity of any kind including static and batteries).
4. Where possible keep the box away from your preferred fire exit routes.
5. Don't advertise its location too much. - Especially to children or strangers.
6. The box should have a warning notice on it for easy identification.
7. I keep black powder separate from the nitro.
8. I keep it on the ground floor because fire tends to go upwards.

When talking to the FLO on a visit I explain the relevant ones to them so it sounds like I know what I'm talking about and that seems to keep them off my back.

Ian

There is now a proper design for the box, with correct separation distances and materials, Peter Starley sells these in Warwick

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]From the 26th April 2005, and under the provisions of the Manufacture & Storage of Explosive Regulations 2005, with effect from Grant or Renewal of your Explosives Certificate, containers of Black Powder must be kept in a box constructed of 18mm plywood. Where a box holds more than one container, each individual container must be separated by a 6mm wooden partition that is securely fixed to the outer walls of the box. Each compartment must allow 30% additional height between the top of the container and the inside of the lid.[/SIZE][/FONT]

If you store black powder in a plywood box... you have effectively made a bomb!!! :eek:

Why not keep it in an old whisky keg and label it "ACME" :D

Stupid rules written by stupid people :rolleyes:

Yorric you are a star.

Grabbed one of the guys from my club on the phone and he gave me the same advice.

Just sorting out now. Thank you very much.

If you store black powder in a plywood box... you have effectively made a bomb!!! :eek:

Why not keep it in an old whisky keg and label it "ACME" :D

Stupid rules written by stupid people :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the sane people don’t write the rules; we just have to comply with them as i am sure everyone of ths forum is aware of with FAC's etc....
:stir:

Unfortunately the sane people don’t write the rules; we just have to comply with them as i am sure everyone of ths forum is aware of with FAC's etc....
:stir:
Amen to that... Imagine the look of horror on the FEO's face if you told him that it's actually safer to store black powder in a brown paper bag than in a wooden box :D (mythbusters confirmed)

really any storage "box" should have a weak joints/sides so if the worse ever happens the weak part just gives out safely. No nails or screws should be used and certainly no iron or steel as BP is corrosive to them plus they become "Dangerous projectiles" if the box goes up.

Of course the "experts" wrote the regulations so they must be right.

Yah I had a wooden box as required by Kent police fire brigade instruction as they told me.
Now I am in germany and their law states you must use a strong metal lockable box (= boom in the phsiycs lab, or as recommended to them by by mr Mc Guiness, beggora and all that).
Martin

Back