Pushing bullets faster than recommended

N.F.W.M

Having just purchased a new Chrono I am now aware that I am pushing 90g Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .243 Ack at 3340fps which is over the recommended speed of 3200 fps.

Apart from the bullet expanding more violently is there anything else I should consider ?

Regards

Sticks

140 fps, I wouldn't reckon on much detriment here, plus a Chrony can be a little off in its readings, I would be more interested in terminal effects on your game, or possible visible defects in target boards / paper (keyholing for instance).

That is not greater than Nosler recommend the 3200 is the max recommended impact velocity and at 45m your bullet is below this velocity anyway.

Under 45m you may get unpredictable expansion

That is not greater than Nosler recommend the 3200 is the max recommended impact velocity and at 45m your bullet is below this velocity anyway.

Under 45m you may get unpredictable expansion

I don't see anywhere on the Nosler website where it states impact velocity... It does however state Optimum performance velocity.

I can't see any huge problem with pushing a bullet faster than recommended, given that you might get some extreme expansion (but that can happen at lower speeds too)

The only issue I'd foresee is pressure. A smallish increase in velocity can sometimes represent a big increase in pressure which might well take you over the max safe pressure for the round. If you're not getting any pressure signs (flattened primers, over-size primer pockets, difficulty opening the bolt etc.) and the terminal effects aren't causing you a big problem, and the round is accurate at that loading, then I see no reason to change. The bullet manufacturers leave a large safety margin on all their maximums, to cover their backs.

Sticks,

Hows the barrel life on the .243AI? I have a .22-250ai and am getting 3320fps with 80gr Bergers. After approximately 650rnds i can see the edges of the rifling are rounding over at chamber end but accuracy is still 1/3moa at present.

Sticks,

Hows the barrel life on the .243AI? I have a .22-250ai and am getting 3320fps with 80gr Bergers. After approximately 650rnds i can see the edges of the rifling are rounding over at chamber end but accuracy is still 1/3moa at present.

Only 80 rounds shot through my .243 Ackley so far.... Accuracy same as yours at 1/3 MOA.

round may disintigrate before it gets to target or deform resulting in round not going where you want

Back