Uberlaufer shot and found

Last week i got invited by my mate Charly to try to shoot an uberlaufer at one of his permissions. In our region we have to shoot around 725 wild boar so some extra “hands” is helpful.
First we did a round to all the feeding stations and scatter some mais around. During the drive we saw 2 sows with about 8 to 9 piglets, which we refrained from shooting. Charly kindly said that if we would see a roebuck I could shoot it, but off course during our drive no buck presented himself. I got at my feeding station and was confident I would see something as it was the same spot me and Wayne shot a wild boar some time ago. Instead of a high seat you are sitting behind a fallen tree, surrounded by cut branches. I decided to put some extra cover up because most of the leaves dropped off. Then it started to rain very hard, so I put up my umbrella. This almost always makes other hunters laugh, but why get yourself soaking wet if you can prevent it by a simple solution as an umbrella??? :doh:
It definitely did not scare off the boar as 10 minutes into the rain shower a sow with 3 piglets came onto the feeding area which was on a closed old foot path with rows of trees on either side. I watched for some time and then scared them off because I did not want them to eat all the maize. I snapped a couple of twigs and that made the sow restless enough to walk to cover and disappear. Then a couple of hikers with some children passed behind me on the main footpath. The children where talking loud, but fortunately they just walked by. Most of the time it does not disturb the wildlife as much but you still are a bit annoyed when it happens. An hour after that 2 uberlaufer came from the left side and where very cautious. They just stayed behind the row of trees and did not come to the maize. I waited to see what they would do. They walked away from me and crossed the path at about 50 meters. I could see one of them going into the cover on my right side. I then got my rifle up and decided that if the second one would take the same path I would try to shoot it. Luckily the second uberlaufer hesitated going into cover and the shoulder was perfectly free. I took the shot and I did not see the boar run off. I just heard the first one run off deeper into cover. I was quite confident I could pick it up where I shot it. Nevertheless waited for 5 minutes and then walked slowly towards to where I thought the boar dropped…. Nothing there, I was a bit puzzled and searched for hair or blood but could not find it. The spot was at a track so my estimation should be right. I called Charly and he came over and we both took a quick look, no nothing there. So we called a mutual friend of ours who has a BGS and is an instructor for tracking wounded or shot animals with dogs.
While waiting for him I the car you discuss the possibilities if it might have gone wrong, simply missed, hit a branch I did not see, bad hit etc… :-|You get all kind of things into you’re head, but I could not believe I missed, I still was confident we overlooked something.
Our friend came and I directed him to, where I thought, the location the boar stood when I shot at it. He called is dog and we began a slow search. The dog did not look very interested which is a bad sign. It slowly went into cover and decided after 20 meters to go back in a sort of horse shoe pattern. Strangely enough it looked much more interested now and fixed upon a sent. We came out of the cover about 10 meters from our starting point and there was the boar, stone dead and it clearly had dropped on the spot with a shoulder shot. The dog got it scent when in cover because the wind was blowing from the path into cover. So I was 10 meters to long with my estimate of the location of the wild boar and with all the blueberry bushes I and we apparently passed the boar on several occasions without spotting it.:oops: We all where happy bunnies of course.

The boar only weighed 20 kilo’s gutted and is 15 months old. This year all our boar look skinny. There are too many around with few food left in the woods. That is why the council has granted us a higher cull number on the boar then past year.
View attachment 17561View attachment 17562

That's great! Well done and it's always good when you find a missing animal. There is nothing worse than thinking you have lost or wounded and animal. I might have to carry an umbrella with all our bad weather..

Hi Ruud
Nice one mate, I remember that tree well having all those boar so close.
Say Hi to Charly,Peter and the other guys for me

Wayne

:tiphat:
Waidmannsheil Ruud!
Sometime in the future we have to meet, sounds like some interesting boar-country!!

Cheers

Michael

You have met and the airport remember, any way get and do some work or radio tag my Mouflon for me :D

:rofl:
hahahhahaahaha... just returned from "work", Sorry, but its not work anymore in the woods... we got this s... weather from you and now its swimming in the woods. Last night we left the stand (THE mufflon stand) at 21:15, because it was windy and raining like hell. Now all of the hunting crew got the order to tag the smelly sheeps for you. There should be one found in the next few months!!!?? Hopefully... :coat:

:rofl:
hahahhahaahaha... just returned from "work", Sorry, but its not work anymore in the woods... we got this s... weather from you and now its swimming in the woods. Last night we left the stand (THE mufflon stand) at 21:15, because it was windy and raining like hell. Now all of the hunting crew got the order to tag the smelly sheeps for you. There should be one found in the next few months!!!?? Hopefully... :coat:

No pressure mate :stir: :D

Back