Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricky Buck...

Tricky Buck...

Having a little trouble with a very nice medal roe buck on one of my permissions.

I bumped into him a couple of months ago and have been unable to get a shot off. Seen him a few times in exactly the same place, unfortunately he seems to drift off back into the woods as im approaching a shootable position. (there is no way he could have known i was there).

I have tried lying out waiting for him to appear. But this one seems to be pretty sneaky. Im starting to think that calling him when the rut starts is my only option. (or bumping into him by accident at some point...)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards, Dan.

Thiis is exactly how they become old enough to become medals.
    No easy answers mate, it just makes the trophy worth more(to you) when you get him.

They dont get big by being stupid!!

Get there early enough, check the wind, sit and wait with the rifle ready. Use a call but use it sparingly dont go tooting on it every few minutes. Patient and hopefully he will fall to your rifle.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

If you are looking to bag a trophy you know is there then like malc says early is the way 1 hour before light and then dont move from that position for 3.5 TO 4 hours you will get him. You dont stalk a medal you ambush it.
    Best of luck

Agree with all above,

and above all don't overdo it.

Your constant presence will only make him shy, one very discreet visit over a week or ten days-ish

Plan your ambush for decent weather go in early and very quiet and sit STILL for a long time.

Good luck.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    You dont stalk a medal you ambush it.
    Or, as in my case, the stupid bugger walks out in front and turns broadside on. A fantastic stalk that lasted all of 10 seconds

At the end of the day it's about being in the right place at the right time. Certainly a knowledge of the ground, and the deer that are on it, can increase your chances, but other times it's just down to plain dumb luck.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

A trail cam with a time/date stamp could help you out a lot!
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

You know the area he is usually in, set up a few trial cameras and leave for a couple of weeks. Download the photos and can then have really usefull data to work with..... Good luck!
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    A trail cam with a time/date stamp could help you out a lot!
    Great minds think alike......
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie