Marlin 39A lever rifle in .22LR

Cut+Squirt

Guys, I came across a beautiful Marlin 39A leaver rifle in .22LR the other day........the wood work was flawless and the rifle in as new condition.

Do any of you guys know much about this specific rifle, maybe own one, i'm looking to find as much information as possible.

I recollect owning one many years ago a golden 39a, the only issue I had was having to unscrew the mod.

every time I wanted to fill the feed tube !! That said I recall reading an article : they had or were thinking

of a deeper tube mount upfront to overcome the above.

Rgds, Buck.

I still have a Golden 39 ,an accurate fun little rifle ,still take it out after rabbits occasionally , factory trigger pull is heavy - relatively easy to cure with different springs .Something a little different from run of the mill semi's and bolt actions

hi mate had one a few years ago bought it new had a lot of trouble ammo feed sold it and got 9422 no more trouble

The Model 39A is the "modernized" Model 1897 Marlin. It was the first .22 Long Rifle repeating rifle made and has been in constant production (war times aside) for 115 years. Anney Oakly used one. I don't own a current one but have a 1953, two 1947's and a 1967 and they are reliable and accurate. Most of the feeding problems people have are when they innocently remove the cartridge guide retaining screw from the top of the receiver thinking it is a scope mounting screw. The little guide falls out of the action on the next cycle of the lever and then feeding becomes hit and miss.... mostly miss. I have fixed "poor feeding" on dozens of these rifles by replacing that $2 part.~Muir

(PS: If you can get .22 Shorts?? It will hold twenty eighty of them. Really raises hell with barn pigeons.)

i have owned several of these, they are fun and surprisingly accurate. As others have said you do get feeding issues with some but to be honest its a cheap fix, other than that what can i say they are a sturdy built accurate little gun

If you fit the weaker spring to reduce the trigger pull you may find that this results in a lot of misfires. If so the cure is to fit a new firing pin which has a much smaller point of contact with the cartridge. On the older ones there can be a bit of "fitting" to do so if you are not handy with a small file get a gunsmith to fit it for you.

i have one and use it for the bunnys on a weekly bassis. the only problem i have had withit was finding ammo that will feed ok with a hp. i now use SK hp subs, does the job very well

If you fit the weaker spring to reduce the trigger pull you may find that this results in a lot of misfires. If so the cure is to fit a new firing pin which has a much smaller point of contact with the cartridge. On the older ones there can be a bit of "fitting" to do so if you are not handy with a small file get a gunsmith to fit it for you.

OT, but when I wanted my old 1964 Volkswagen Beetle to get up to highway speed faster I simply removed the front windscreen and rear window, allowing air to flow through and reducing drag. It caused a few problems with bugs, rain, and gravel tossed passing trucks, but a full face shield motorcycle helmet took care of that. (The best way to deal with the trigger on a Marlin M-39 is to realize first that is will never be as good as a quality bolt gun. Next is to understand that changing mainsprings is never a good idea with a lever action due t the reason Bob mentions; poor ignition. It it never a good idea to reduce the sear/trigger spring because this is what insures positive engagement with the full-cock notch on the hammer. What does work, and is the correct approach with any lever action, is to adjust the sear geometry for proper contact and clean let off. In other words, a professional trigger job by someone who knows what they are doing.) I eventually replaced the windscreen and rear window, got my motor tuned by a good mechanic, and realized that a 1964 VW was not the best for highway driving.:D~Muir

PS: Sorry. I woke up in a weird mood this morning!

Last edited:
Back