Ultrasoninc Cleaning

Mr Lewis

Now I am a total convert to Ultrasonic Cleaning of cases using Citric Acid nothing comes close IMHO

However I have thought about cleaning my dies in the Ultrasoninc cleaner however the citric acid solution turns steel black so have any of you guys used your ultrasonic cleaner for your dies or other steel items?

If so what were the results and what soluton did you use?

Citric acid will remove zinc from the surface of the brass, you can tell when by a pinkish appearance.

Haven't used mine for anything else, but often think about putting my dies in it ! Would probably use SeaClean or hot soapy water.

I use warm water/vinegar/fairy liquid for my brass in the ultrasonic - brings em up like new!
I do rinse em in a tub of clean water with bicarb of soda to neutralise the acid from the vinegar and a final rinse in cool fresh water :)

Never cleaned my dies - might give it a go :)

Daz

Citric acid will remove zinc from the surface of the brass, you can tell when by a pinkish appearance.

Haven't used mine for anything else, but often think about putting my dies in it ! Would probably use SeaClean or hot soapy water.

I make the Seaclean:lol:

I knackered a die putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner with water only. The coating came off. Regards JCS

I used to use the vinegar recipes detailed on 6mmbr, but after a recent recommendation I now solely use Hornady sonic clean solution, amazed with the improvement, and no more neutralising. Not tried anything other than brass at present, but I'll have a read on the carton later and let you know what it says.

JCS Can I ask who the manufacturer of the die was??

I used the Hornady solution at first until I tried Citric Acid and only using 2 tea spoons per tank at only £6 / kg its very cheap too.

Just done 200 243 cases in a single batch using only 2 teaspoons worth of Citric Acid :D

I too used to use the vinegar warm water and washing up liquid method until I went to Tim Hannams and bought some Lyman sonic case cleaning solution. It is fantastic one eight minute cycle and rinse in clean water and they are gleaming :thumb:

As for the dies I did mine about two weeks ago and just used warm water and washing up liquid with no problems.

If you're into ultrasonic cleaning, or thinking about it just take a look at these!!

Lyman do a great product as can be seen here... at £125

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/turbosonic-casecleaner.phphttp://www.amazon.co.uk/JPL-8050-Pr...GWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342564880&sr=8-1

But if you can see the difference between the Lyman product and this one... at £79.99 ..add the cleaning solutions at £12.50 each (or cheaper if you make up your own) you're still many squids in!!

http://www.electronicshop2.com/jpl-8050-professional-high-spec-ultrasonic-17586.html

or at Amazon for £99.99 without solutions.. so not much difference on that one but you can choose your solutions!

Amazing what you can find!!

Regards

Fraser

Last edited:
Can I ask how long you leave them in for?, I've tried the smaller US tank but switched to stainless media tumbling.

I rinse them in the sink with a little washing up liquid and scalding water to remove the resizing lube.

Then 3-4 x 480 second cycles in the Ultrasonic Cleaner with Boiling Water and Cirtric Acid.

Remove from Cleaner and rinse in sink with running water.

Dry in the fan oven 10-15 mins at 70 deg C

If you're into ultrasonic cleaning, or thinking about it just take a look at these!!

Lyman do a great product as can be seen here... at £125

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/turbosonic-casecleaner.phphttp://www.amazon.co.uk/JPL-8050-Pr...GWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342564880&sr=8-1

But if you can see the difference between the Lyman product and this one... at £79.99 ..add the cleaning solutions at £12.50 each (or cheaper if you make up your own) you're still many squids in!!

http://www.electronicshop2.com/jpl-8050-professional-high-spec-ultrasonic-17586.html

or at Amazon for £99.99 without solutions.. so not much difference on that one but you can choose your solutions!

Amazing what you can find!!

Regards

Fraser

Mine is a CD-4820 but looks just the same as the Lyman one and was £40 delivered from Amazon when the wife bought me mine.

Sorry to drag on but today i had a little play around.
I use to use white vinagar, fairy and water then bicarb and a wrinse in plain water.

look at the photos. they have all been on the press and then trimmed. some i have stripped as bad loading and then have been cleaned before. some have had the sooty necks hand cleaned in the past so dont shot as much blackening as others.

the photos show.

1/ from the box
2/ cleaned in water only
3/ Clagon
4/ Citric acid

P1020256.jpg
P1020255.jpg
P1020254.jpg
P1020253.jpg

P1020252.jpg

the citric acid cleaned but a pinkie hue about the brass. i'm told this is not a good thing

the Calgon cleaned the brass well but what i didnt expect was the it showed up the knackered brass better. there was no pinkie hue and the brass didnt look as pale as it did when cleaned with Citric acid.

P1020259.jpg
P1020258.jpg

The Calgon was the tablet that you put in the washing machine to stop the lime scale. well at least this is what im told you do with them.
I just cruched the tablet and then added 1 litre of warm water.

I did 480 sec clean and then did a few more but it made no real differance. i did wash in hot clean water after.

I think i will be looking for more free samples of Calgon

What do you all think, Am I going mad?

All the best

Phil

Ultrasonic Cleaning Using Citric Acid

270Win Norma case Once Fired Rinsed in Hot water to remove sizing lube 100 case placed verticaly in US Cleaner 2 x 480 second cycles in Citric Acid Solution Rinsed in Hot Water and Dried in Fan Oven @ 70 deg C.

US Cleaning Using Citric Acid Inside of Case.jpgUS Cleaning Using Citric Acid Outside of Case.jpg

how much acid are you putting in per liter Mr Lewis. did your brass have real sooty necks and annealing discolouration? Only asking as i cant get my brass like yours with just Citric acid, in fact i cant get it that clean unless i tumble it.

I am very impressed.

Back