attracting charlie

chris .222

is there anything i can put out to attract charlie i thought of tined dog food but am unsure if it will attract them or scare them off ?

your foxes are probably not fussie,but anything even road kill,but put a scent trail so that they walk on to it from any angle.good luck.

I was just going to say a mate of mine used to chuck dried dog food about on dusk so the crows didnt have it, you never know if your lucky mike may just make a comment for you ;)

+ 1 with big white hunter - unzip a decent sized rabbit or two and if you can, drag them on a bit of string put a large cross on the field to ensure the scent can be picked up from any entry point and place a couple of tethered but unzipped rabbits in the centre and let the breeze do the rest.

you can call them in to the field and it should help keep em interested until a shot presents itself.

Try not to use illumination until your on to a shot for positive ID, if needed, a good pair of binos usually do the trick for locating em, nice and quiet, wind in your face,
Keep lamps to a minimum and stealth will get em

good luck
Phil

Last edited:
Try a kebab type set up ie skewered rabbits or a wire cage full of offal heads Ect have used both to good effect from my kitchen window with foxes visiting both day and night .

Tin of sardines in oil ;)

Puncture the tin a few times with the nail, then nail the tin to the top side of a fence post so the oil leaks down the post.
Get setup to ambush the fox, you will know the range to the post - sorted!! ;)

Daz

Boil some horse hoof clipping for a couple of hours, pour it into a demijohn and leave it to go black. Do not spill it on yourself as you won't get it off. A few drops will attract foxes for miles!

+ 1 with big white hunter - unzip a decent sized rabbit or two and if you can, drag them on a bit of string put a large cross on the field to ensure the scent can be picked up from any entry point and place a couple of tethered but unzipped rabbits in the centre and let the breeze do the rest.

you can call them in to the field and it should help keep em interested until a shot presents itself.

Try not to use illumination until your on to a shot for positive ID, if needed, a good pair of binos usually do the trick for locating em, nice and quiet, wind in your face,
Keep lamps to a minimum and stealth will get em

good luck
Phil

Above advice is what worked for me tonight, zipped a couple of rabbits scented the field and waited a while. Got fed up and thought I'm going for a walk around the ground, came half way back up the field and seen this one just down wind of the rabbits. Taken at roughly 190 yards +/- paced out so don't quote me on it. :-|

View attachment 17630

Build a pheasant pen, put a few pheasant poults in it and they will be there snooping around before you leave.

I hang a roo or a feathered hen (dead!) from a tree high enough for the fox to leap up and get a smidgin of a taste,the food will be there for ages and the fox`s will come by nightly in the hope that it will be easier to get too.

Then its time to grab the spotlight and 220 swift!

Last edited:
is there anything i can put out to attract charlie i thought of tined dog food but am unsure if it will attract them or scare them off ?
purchase a raw ham shank put a bit of rope throe it put in sealed bag and put out side for a few days when it gets ripe go to your shoot and atach to tree post but high enughf that the fox cant reach it now go out the next night and wait if you dont get a few foxes snifing around il be surprised / another that works very well is get your self something from the fish and chip shop cover it in lots of salt and vinigar place on the bit of ground you want to shoot foxes works better if your shoot is close to a housing estate as foxes pick upall the stuff thrown fromcars dumped at the side of the road trust me it works

I forgot to add, a can of sardines or tuna,must be in oil with a hole punched in a corner and suspended so it drips onto a stone or brick (or trap) . Make the hole in the can of a size according to the temp..too big and it will drip out quickly in warm weather etc.

Will bring him in!

If you're planning to do a lot of baiting, my suggestion is that you get some carcass trimmings (I use bunny and venison) and vac-pac them. Then leave them somewhere warm for a week or so. When it looks as though they're getting really rancid, stick 'em in the freezer. So long as you remember to take them out in time to thaw properly, you'll have some really, really, smelly bait that's very easy and pleasant to handle - right up until the moment where you cut the bags open. At that point, it's definitely best to make sure you hold them at arm's length!

I use a combination of dead rabbit it and cheap stinky dog food. The reason for dog food it that is cheap and plentiful. When I drive past my shoot can bait up an area to get charley used to coming in. When I put rabbit out a i put the dog food out too so as not to spook them. I have shot a good few foxes using this method. Foxes are scroungers so IME they will eat any old rubbish......literally!! If you use rabbit just make sure you stab it a bit, jump up and down on it, drag it around and area and then peg/tie it down. A trick learnt from the man above:cool: and it works very well. You can watch the fox scenting the area trying to locate the rabbit or dog food and that will give you time for a better, more considered shot. That is another plus for dog food, you can smear it in to the ground.

I use a pair of old tights and cat food/oil from the bottom of the tune/anchovy tin.
Fill the foot of one of the tights, mush it up a bit and drag it around the field/area a bit to leave plenty of trails

split it and spread it at the "kill zone".
Food spread out keeps them longer and they get less twitchy than they do with tethered food they cant pick up and run away with.

If you do it in darkness I find the rear light from a bike on a fence post is enough to light up the target area and allow spotting with a NV monocular and then just a day scope for the shot

Back