Interesting But Odd Rack For A Red

Buckbones

So it is mid July and all my cull red stags are coming on atreat. One in particular stands out from the crowd. He was fine last year butas one can see he’s a little different this year.
Im going to keep a track of him to see what the finishedresult is. It is going to be interesting to see what the brow tine turns intoas well as the rest of rack.
Unfortunately he will have to go the owner does not want anyoffspring from him. Good new for some happy hunter bad news for the big buck.
Ill post a picture in August

Cheers Andrew
View attachment 17641
View attachment 17643View attachment 17642

intresting pics mate, but would not be surprised if that snapped off soon ????

This is very true but Im kind of hoping it will not. It would be cool to see the finished result

keep us all updated, if it does survive intact that would make a intresting trophy for someone

ATB

Dave

He is a fine animal, one of the best?

If he was fine last year, is there any reaon apparebt for the abnormality this year?

H.

I am looking for any pictures earlier this year to see when it started to change. But not found any yet. He was one of three that was cept out of 20 cull animals to breed from last year all perfect 14/16 pointers with good body weight.
But that is all I know as the are left up the hill to winter and did not have much to do with them.

Andrew

Andrew we get a few abnormals like yours quite regulary the one in the pic has grown back the same for three years, although i havn't seen it about since they cast so it may be he might be back to normal again this year.

52e7edbb.jpg

To me that looks as though the antler was normal until he broke part of it, which has subsequently re-set enough to look solid. Certainly no reason to cull him for that alone. If that part had grown into that position it would be much thicker at the "bottom" because of the weight of blood pooling at the down growing tip.

I see your point but there are far better stags on the land and the out shine any of theses. Plus it's not down to me only the trigger man so to speak.

I see your point but there are far better stags on the land and the out shine any of theses. Plus it's not down to me only the trigger man so to speak.

Personally I would shoot it, even the brow tine area is abnormal on the opposite side.
Genetic faults are almost impossible to erradicate so there is no point in allowing a possible defect to continue in the breeding line.
Below is a picture of a fine Red stag which came on to one of my Lake District mountains for the 3rd consecutive rut and
I zapped him immediately I saw him as his antlers were virtually same the previous year.
I was worried that he may be about to service his own daughters.

HWH.
DSC_0125.jpg

Seen similar before. Most likely run into a fence after casting during the early growth which has damaged the coronet / pedicle to some extent.

John old chap. I have even more love in my life free range deer and park. But you are very luck if it wasn't for us poms all you would have is possums and rabbits to shoot. Lol. But joking apart yes it's in a park and iit is what it is. Its different that's all just a topic of conversion nothing more. Just off to the reefa for a tinie or two. Have a good day.
Cheers Andrew

I`m just off the hill from my evenings walk,seven sambar deer observed feeding,three staggy rats,three hinds and one calf....i`m just sharing the love Andy!

Shooting deer in a pen isnt hunting I`m afraid Andy and thats where the love stops!

Back