any ideas guys

I have a very sensible 13 year old who is a member of BASC and has a SGC. I replied to an ad on here but the chap said that 13 was too young to accompany on a paid stalk but OK to come watch us bunny bashing. Obviously can't shoot bunnies as the legal age to use a rifle (other than a club) is 14.

If you are paying for a recreational stalk it's the stalker you would need to convince.

Said child has been extensively in the field with me from 10.

I just think the guide was being prudent about how practical it is to be a threesome on a stalk when he is trying to get you on deer. Sometimes it's hard enough when you are on your own !
My lad has been out with me since the age of 7, but I would never and would not even now take him out if there was going to be 3 of us.

Its all Personal choice though.

Last edited:
Dont see why not.
its your money afterall

I would be most put out if a stalker I was paying refused to allow me to bring my son.
They don't all have to be together on the final approach

park them someone where they can sit and watch if the conditions don't allow for continued stalking

This is an interesting one because on at least 3 occasions last year I had 2 guests out stalking as one rifle. They asked if it was okay prior to coming and that the two of them were experienced stalkers. I did say that it is not ideal but at the end of the day it is their money they are spending and it has to be said may impact a bit on success rates, unless any guides on here have stats to the contrary???

I think the approach in should deer be seen really has to be the guide and the person taking the shot, whilst the observer remains back in a position not to cause any unwanted disturbance.

I take my two boys out together (aged 10 and 11, but both been coming out for years so know what is required) regularly with me with varying degress of success, but not once have I felt they disturbed beasts we were watching whilst deciding on what to shoot. That does not mean the extra disturbance caused by an extra set of feet has not caused missed opportunities unknown to me though! Just a week ago we bumped into a large group of sika just after entering the wood and the two of them simply stopped walking where they were, whilst I crawled forward and took the shot.

I am actually taking a lad out next week with his young son who likewise has been going with him for years. If dad is happy with that then so am I...

Lifted from the pages of the internet...

You have to be 17 before you can borrow a rifle and use it accompanied by the occupier. The minimum age for having a firearm certificate is 14 and you can use the rifle unsupervised at that age. So any 14+ wishing to borrow Dad’s rifle and shoot bunnies, foxes or deer needs a certificate.

The traditional way into shooting used to be with a low power air gun but the legislation surrounding their use has become even more restrictive than for rifles or shotguns.

Under 14s can only use an air gun on private premises and must be supervised by someone over 21. From 14 to 17 you can use it on private property without supervision but if you are in a public place you must be accompanied by someone over 21.

I can see that in some circumstances 14 to 17 year olds would be better off with a high power air gun on an FAC.

Eggy I think you are wrong, at 14 you can possess a section one firearm. You can use an air rifle under the age of 14 as long as you are supervised by an adult over the age of 21.

If and it is a fairly unlikely if you can persuade your local bobby at the age of 14 you need a FAC then yes you can own one.

The legal ages when you can be loaned a rifle is 17.

As the person that mentioned this stated his son has a SGC but did not state he has a FAC it would be safe to assume he would have to borrow a rifle in which case the age is 17 :rolleyes:.

Think you will find that is 17.

Nope. please check your advice.

UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
No-one under the age of 14 may use a Section 1 Firearm except for target shooting as a
member of a Home Office approved rifle club; or at a shooting gallery where no rifles larger
than .23 inch calibre are used (e.g. at Fairs).
14 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE
At the age of 14 a person may hold a firearm certificate and may then be given firearms and
ammunition within the conditions on the certificate.
The law does not set a minimum age at which the holder of a firearm certificate may shoot
without adult supervision. That is left to the discretion of the parent or guardian.
NEW - 18 AND OVER
On reaching the age of 18, the holder of a firearm certificate may hire or purchase firearms
and ammunition in accordance with the conditions on that certificate.
THE FIREARMS (AMENDMENT) ACT 1988
The above act made it lawful for someone of, or over, the age of 17 to borrow a rifle from the
occupier of private land and use it, on that land, in the presence of the occupier but only
under the conditions on that certificate.
Under these circumstances the rifle can also be
borrowed from a “servant of the occupier”, for example a gamekeeper. “In the presence of” is
taken to mean “within sight and earshot”.
NEW –
The age for borrowing was not increased to 18 years however “The Firearms
(Amendment) Regulations 2010” now requires the lending occupier or servant must be 18 or
over when lending to 17 year olds.
For
borrowers who are 18 years or older, the lender may be of any age providing they are an
occupier or servant of an occupier and hold a firearm certificate for the rifle being lent under
the provisions of the estate rifle provision. See BASC’s fact sheet called
“Borrowing Rifles”
available at
www.basc.org.uk

Nope. please check your advice.

UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
No-one under the age of 14 may use a Section 1 Firearm except for target shooting as a
member of a Home Office approved rifle club; or at a shooting gallery where no rifles larger
than .23 inch calibre are used (e.g. at Fairs).
14 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE
At the age of 14 a person may hold a firearm certificate and may then be given firearms and
ammunition within the conditions on the certificate.
The law does not set a minimum age at which the holder of a firearm certificate may shoot
without adult supervision. That is left to the discretion of the parent or guardian.
NEW - 18 AND OVER
On reaching the age of 18, the holder of a firearm certificate may hire or purchase firearms
and ammunition in accordance with the conditions on that certificate.
THE FIREARMS (AMENDMENT) ACT 1988
The above act made it lawful for someone of, or over, the age of 17 to borrow a rifle from the
occupier of private land and use it, on that land, in the presence of the occupier but only
under the conditions on that certificate.
Under these circumstances the rifle can also be
borrowed from a “servant of the occupier”, for example a gamekeeper. “In the presence of” is
taken to mean “within sight and earshot”.
NEW –
The age for borrowing was not increased to 18 years however “The Firearms
(Amendment) Regulations 2010” now requires the lending occupier or servant must be 18 or
over when lending to 17 year olds.
For
borrowers who are 18 years or older, the lender may be of any age providing they are an
occupier or servant of an occupier and hold a firearm certificate for the rifle being lent under
the provisions of the estate rifle provision. See BASC’s fact sheet called
“Borrowing Rifles”
available at
www.basc.org.uk

Please feel free to point out where I am wrong!!!

Aged 17 or over you can use a firearm user supervision.

Aged 14 you can hold a FAC.

Aged 18 you can buy a Firearm.

Please learn the law yourself before you start telling people to check what they post. :rolleyes:

If and it is a fairly unlikely if you can persuade your local bobby at the age of 14 you need a FAC then yes you can own one.

The legal ages when you can be loaned a rifle is 17.

As the person that mentioned this stated his son has a SGC but did not state he has a FAC it would be safe to assume he would have to borrow a rifle in which case the age is 17 :rolleyes:.

Watch this space. Discussed this with my FEO today. My daughter is not long 13. In a few months time I bet you they will happily grant her one. Good Reason, Safety, Training, Knowledge, Sensible Attitude, Ground to shoot on and a club. I suspect on a good day she would out shoot you already. She is also left handed and cannot shoot Daddy's guns anyway.

Point being that beyond the legal considerations, assuming you are paying to stalk on his ground then the Stalker calls the tune. I can understand if the Stalker is hoping to make a trophy fee then he wants to minimise the risk of his client missing an opportunity.

Ive had 30 year olds tag along with clients that I wouldnt want out with me again!

Please feel free to point out where I am wrong!!!

Aged 17 or over you can use a firearm user supervision.

Aged 14 you can hold a FAC.

Aged 18 you can buy a Firearm.

Please learn the law yourself before you start telling people to check what they post. :rolleyes:

Sorry Eggy oh illustrious Trade member of 536 posts. Read post #5 and dont be pompous.

You made an assumption. You know what happens when you do that?

The youngest legal age to shoot a Section 1 firearm is 14.

Watch this space. Discussed this with my FEO today. My daughter is not long 13. In a few months time I bet you they will happily grant her one. Good Reason, Safety, Training, Knowledge, Sensible Attitude, Ground to shoot on and a club. I suspect on a good day she would out shoot you already. She is also left handed and cannot shoot Daddy's guns anyway.

Point being that beyond the legal considerations, assuming you are paying to stalk on his ground then the Stalker calls the tune. I can understand if the Stalker is hoping to make a trophy fee then he wants to minimise the risk of his client missing an opportunity.

Ive had 30 year olds tag along with clients that I wouldnt want out with me again!

any monkeys?

or is that just John?

any monkeys?

or is that just John?

Had a chap out rough shooting once who bought his Uni-age son. We set out. I then noticed the "Experienced lad" had plugged his Ipod into his ears and had a loaded shotgun, closed, hanging from the crook of his arm, muzzle pointed at his Dads heels.

Thats about where that day paused for a deep and meaningful conversation.

Sorry Eggy oh illustrious Trade member of 536 posts. Read post #5 and dont be pompous.

You made an assumption. You know what happens when you do that?

The youngest legal age to shoot a Section 1 firearm is 14.

Ok North Devon, please point out where you said your 14 year old had a FAC. You did not, and as yet she does not.

The OP is asking what age it is ok to take a kid on the shooting day. You stated that its ok for a 14 year old to use a rifle (no mention of them being a FAC holder). Now under normal circumstances not many 14 years have a FAC therefore the age is 17.

When giving out legal advise make it clear so the OP does not get in trouble over your unique situations.

Aged 14 I was shooting in national .22 competitions, aged 16 I was a shooting in national full bore competitions and I have been rifle shooting ever since so I am sure your 13 year old daughter that has never fired a rimfire or centre fire can outshoot me.

More assumptions.

At 13 she has been a member of a club a while now. She is checked out on Rimfire, Centrefire, Black Powder Pistol and Shotgun. I had my share of TS1 bondage years ago. Hows your TP1? She has been shooting that with Pony Club using an airpistol for years as part of her Tetrathlon training. So if you would like to try your luck against her on turning targets with a Lever gun in .38, freehand you would want a fair share of humble pie to snack on.

Now then. The FEO doesnt like angry shooters and you get really aggitated over being challenged. Lets put the handbags away. Is my 13 year olds enjoyment of shooting really that intimidating?

Chill out. What national squad were you on at 14?

More assumptions.

At 13 she has been a member of a club a while now. She is checked out on Rimfire, Centrefire, Black Powder Pistol and Shotgun. I had my share of TS1 bondage years ago. Hows your TP1? She has been shooting that with Pony Club using an airpistol for years as part of her Tetrathlon training. So if you would like to try your luck against her on turning targets with a Lever gun in .38, freehand you would want a fair share of humble pie to snack on.

Now then. The FEO doesnt like angry shooters and you get really aggitated over being challenged. Lets put the handbags away. Is my 13 year olds enjoyment of shooting really that intimidating?

Chill out. What national squad were you on at 14?

I am not angry at all, I am just pointing out the information you provided could easily be misconstrued by the OP.

Then you come back with stupid irrelevant comments like " oh illustrious Trade member of 536 posts" what relevance does that have to what we are discussing? nothing it is just petty and pathetic.

Honest question here

Is a .38 not classed as a section 1 firearm? If so how does your 13 year old daughter legally shoot it?

I never said I was in a national squad I said I shot in national (not international) competitions.

You were the one that brought you 13 year old daughter into this, when I reply stating that at her age I was shooting in national competitions you decided I am intimidated by her, I can assure you I am not.

The competitions I shot in were the Country life .22 Schools competition, and the Ashburton. After that I quite target shooting because I find it akin to watching paint dry.

Last edited:
Back