Lapping Scope Rings

Heym SR20

Does anybody know where I can get a 1 inch bar so that I can lap some scope rings to ensure even contact and alignment with a scope??

Does anybody bother lapping their scope rings before mounting a scope?

Many thanks

Heym SR20

Heym SR20 said:
Does anybody bother lapping their scope rings before mounting a scope?

Many thanks

Heym SR20

I do, unless the rings have nylon inserts such as optilocks, but I only have a 30mm lapping bar. :(

Best rgds

Tahr

you'll get one from Midway UK or alternately why not just ask someone to make you one on a lathe?

I'd post on one of the metal engineering forums...ask for someone to make you one from black bar....they'll likely make it for £5-10 plus postage.

I've always lapped the rings before mounting a scope.

Silver steel ar dimensional tallerances are normaly very high so might be the easiest way. I notice border barrels sell a Kit.

Dave

Silver steel ar dimensional tallerances are normaly very high so might be the easiest way. I notice border barrels sell a Kit.

Dave

lapp

If you can wait a couple of days i'll check out what i've got at work,
I know i've got one that i made for and old Doctor with a 26mm tube but we should have plenty of 1" 316 bar kicking about.
You need something that isn't to hard as the idea is that the media will embedd in the lapp. I'm off to work in a bit but I have interviews all morning and we are being Audited this afternoon so i might not get a chance to look.

Ezzy.

Ezzy is right, rather a softer material as lapping rod. Brass is very good.

Another option is to bed the scope in the mounts with steel epoxy (devcon). Apply release agent or wax to scope and mounts. Apply epoxy top and bottom and close mounts with little torque. Remove excess epoxy and tighten mounts well only after epoxy has set well. after about 24hr

edi

Back