Hot Skinning Deer

Ive been doing it this way for years. It is not a new method. We always did beast and sheep in the slaughterhouse warm why not deer. If I take a roe up north I aways skin and break it down within an hour. It works very well. Plus all the beginners courses I do with the red stags I will do the skinning on a warm beast and recommend they do to.
Cheers Andrew

Ive been doing it this way for years. It is not a new method. We always did beast and sheep in the slaughterhouse warm why not deer. If I take a roe up north I aways skin and break it down within an hour. It works very well. Plus all the beginners courses I do with the red stags I will do the skinning on a warm beast and recommend they do to.
Cheers Andrew

Hi Buckbones I always hot skin as well. The article doesnt say it is a new method, it says it is an alternative. It also says it comes from the commercial abattoir industry so you are coming from the same place - Sounds like you could have written it! :tiphat:

It is great that you are teaching beginers to hot skin as well becasue it really is the cleanest way to get the skin off otherwise the commercial guys wouldnt do it. The only ones I still have trouble with even hot are munty's

Have always skinned deer like this. Much easier. The first thing we did at college was a week in The old Thurso slaughter house.

I would agree it is the fastest way to skin a deer . But then you hang it in the chiller and a hard crust develops over the carcass . Isn,t this a problem ?
I hang my deer for two weeks at least and then skin them , granted it takes more time . But i am left with a nice clean pink carcass , i would hate to see a hot skinned carcass that had been in the chiller for two weeks.

Chill

I would agree it is the fastest way to skin a deer . But then you hang it in the chiller and a hard crust develops over the carcass . Isn,t this a problem ?
I hang my deer for two weeks at least and then skin them , granted it takes more time . But i am left with a nice clean pink carcass , i would hate to see a hot skinned carcass that had been in the chiller for two weeks.

Chill

You want the hard skin. Just trim it off when you are butchering. Ask any "proper" butcher, the outside of a well hung piece of beef used to be blue/black.

Many folk don't like meat hung, for best results don't hang in chiller but fly proof "airy" old style larder. Trust me, the meat is far better. In the old larders before chillers we would hang freezer hinds for up to 3 weeks.

You want the hard skin. Just trim it off when you are butchering. Ask any "proper" butcher, the outside of a well hung piece of beef used to be blue/black.

Many folk don't like meat hung, for best results don't hang in chiller but fly proof "airy" old style larder. Trust me, the meat is far better. In the old larders before chillers we would hang freezer hinds for up to 3 weeks.[/QU

+1:thumb:

Back