Dog food

lukejr175

I am currently feeding Field and Trail to my spaniels and lab.
Is there anyone feeding vast amounts of food to their dogs and if so what would you recomend?
Just trying to keep the cost down without feeding the dogs on a lesser quality food.
Luke

I mix wagg worker and chudleys original mine seem to do well on it and as they are kennelled they don't seem to spread shi:te all over the place ,wagg is 17 kg bag and chudleys 15 kg so 32kg for £24

Csj champ. but they do a whole range of feeds. forgot to say its £10.75 for 15kg. really good for dogs which suffer with a dodgey guts.

Last edited:
Slaughterhouse waste with Tesco own brand mixer. Dogs seem to very well on it. Shite is firm and their coats and eyes shine.

My dogs seem to do well on straight wagg worker. Cheap as chips and asda deliver it! I've had them on other, more expensive stuff (rough and ready or field and trial) before and they eat a lot of grass on it. Wagg seems quite good for them, they run about forests all day, every (working) day.

Wagg worker on all dogs and was asked last year what I was feeding them (labs) as their coats were shiny and generally in good nick. £10 a bag and scraps from our meals no bother at all.

Tescos had a 3 for 2 offer a while ago which about broke my pals landrover as he bought so much he asked the young lad in the store for another pallet!!

When you look at the ingredients there's not much difference between the wagg and pricey stuff.

We used field and trial for a long long time then we noticed a problem with one of our Irish Water Spaniels in that she was loosing her coat and had really bad skin. £100s of pounds worth of vet tests (Thyroid, Blood, Allergy) were all inconclusive, so in a hit and hope measure we changed her diet to Skinners Hypoallergenic and within a couple of months her coat and skin had fully recovered. There is nothing wrong with Field & Trial the problem was with the dog, but now we feed all the dogs on the hypoallergenic stuff.

Csj champ. but they do a whole range of feeds. forgot to say its £10.75 for 15kg. really good for dogs which suffer with a dodgey guts.

Another vote for Csj. We use Champ combined with Nature diet bought in bulk. Suits ours a treat.

Beta Pup for (funnily enough any pups) dogs up to a year old, and adults are all on Chudleys Working Crunch. Never used anything else for over 12 years. Not seen any need to change the diet from outwith the working season either, they just get a slightly reduced amount during summer and out of season months.

Another vote for Csj. We use Champ combined with Nature diet bought in bulk. Suits ours a treat.

Another CSJ one here, used since they started, and Ceri is very helpfull if you have a food related problem. There food is now being shipped to the sled dog teams.

A number of the FT breaders and trainer use tripe in addition to a biscuit. Cheap and much less sh1te, plus good health benefits. Bubble

We have three labs, all on Chudleys Original in the summer, and Crunchy during the winter. Order it directly from the Dodson & Horrell website, with orders over being delivered free. Original is approx £ 12.40 /15 KG, and Crunchy approx £ 14.00 / 15 KG. Never let us down, dogs like it, and the price / quality has stayed consistent.

Mix it in with any venison off cuts, offal etc, and cavity fat, as and when I can supplement it.

All the best.

Neil.

I mix wagg worker and chudleys original mine seem to do well on it and as they are kennelled they don't seem to spread shi:te all over the place ,wagg is 17 kg bag and chudleys 15 kg so 32kg for £24

That's the mix I'm using at the moment and seems to be good. About £18 out bookers but I think the bags are 15kg and 12.5kg.

I use CSJ, Hi lost in the summer months (If we get one) and Herbie rings in the winter with a bit of tripe. Used to feed skinners 3yrs ago but found it is not as good as it used to be (field & trial).

Last edited:
Countrywide stores muesli and maintenance mixed 3 to 2 ratio. Cocker and Patterdale and firm, work all day long and in great shape. I occasionally add gravey and bits of meat but thats just as a treat.

Coincidently I just flicked the TV over and there is a programme on about dog food! The host was visiting a factory that produces the stuff and it was so clean inside it could have been processing food for us!

Anyway, the ingredients were basically rice, carrots and pure turkey. Apparantly dog food manufactured in UK has to be made with ingredients that would pass as fit for human consumption. So all those mentioned should be good then! :D

I friend of mine is a policeman involved in food control, environment, etc...... He told me recently that there was almost more control on animal food than on human food.

I always keep in between 5 and 12 dogs, so I need a food on wich the dogs are good, reasonable price , not to much droppings, no loose droppings , etc.... I have been feeding Pro Plan , Royal Canin, Arion , Gosbi , CSJ and sometimes tripe. Tripe is excellent but to much work for a larger number of dogs. The more expensive foods are certainly a lot better. Dogs are in better condition and a lot less droppings, which cuts back cleaning time in favour of training time. If budget would allow it would always be pro Plan or Royal Canin. They are on CSJ now, both champ and Hi lost and cleaning time went dramaticly up. As little as possible and very hard droppings is one of my major demands.

Back