Worming dogs

david1976

My two dogs are a pair of little ba5tards when it comes to worming time.

I have tried crumbling the tablets up / powdering them / keeping them whole and mixing them with tinned dog food with lots of gravy, putting them in cheese, fish, dropping them in their mouths and they always spit them out.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions as they need wormed but I cant get the tablets into them!!!

I use drontal as my terrier is allergic to panacur.

Better still is a jag available as neither of them mind a jag at the vets.

Yep, lower jaw grabbed by forcing lips over teeth to stop them biting down and closing mouth, tablet rammed down the back of throat with thumb and forefinger of free hand and then muzzle clamped shut while they have no choice but to swallow it! Sounds drastic (it is), but over and done with in less than 10seconds!!!! To be honest normally mine hoover the tablet up in a wee bit if food. Did all 4 the other day and only the GWP managed to eat round it, so she got the above treatment. her expression after did kind of say WTF!!!!!

I tried holding the mouth shut today as a last resort however the bitch refused to swallow it (sounds a bit rude!) so after 3 or 4 minutes I gave up as she started to froth at the mouth. I tried massaging her throat but to no avail :(

I stick my worming tablest in a square of cheese, this works for most dogs. Give them a couple of pieces tablet free first then the "spiked" one.

I mostly use liduid panacur, but when I use tablets, I just push them down in the troat. Deep enough so they can't throw them up/back and I still have my 10 fingers. When using liquid the same. Dog seated between the legs, either tablet or siringe deep in the throat. It takes only a few seconds. I do every dog in the kennel like that. Dog "training" is no democracy. You decide how it goes.

Just get the syrup david. But like Jammy open mouth tablet to the back clamp gob shut it will swallow if not it will get a slap.

Now now bri my woman got treated differnt i love my dogs. Plus she could do with a worm or two.;)

I use drontal as my terrier is allergic to panacur.

No it's not! One of the ingredients in Drontal is Febantal that is metabolised in the body to the same active ingredient as the Panacur!

Panacur is really a roundwormer and not suitable for adult dogs where tapeworm are more of an issue (the exception being pregnant bitches).

The easiest thing is a 'tasty' wormer, Milbemax do a version and there are others.

If you crush Drontal or get them wet it tastes awful. You have one chance of getting them down. (the Drontal liquid is not the same as the tablets and doesn't cover tapeworms).

No it's not! One of the ingredients in Drontal is Febantal that is metabolised in the body to the same active ingredient as the Panacur!

Panacur is really a roundwormer and not suitable for adult dogs where tapeworm are more of an issue (the exception being pregnant bitches).

The easiest thing is a 'tasty' wormer, Milbemax do a version and there are others.

If you crush Drontal or get them wet it tastes awful. You have one chance of getting them down. (the Drontal liquid is not the same as the tablets and doesn't cover tapeworms).

If I give the terrier panacur, he is sick, his eyes go red and he does not eat for 3 or 4 days, this doesn't happen with the drontal. I tried it twice and this happened both times.

I will give the mibemax a try, does it cover all important worm types or do I need to use something else as well?

Yep, lower jaw grabbed by forcing lips over teeth to stop them biting down and closing mouth, tablet rammed down the back of throat with thumb and forefinger of free hand and then muzzle clamped shut while they have no choice but to swallow it! Sounds drastic (it is), but over and done with in less than 10seconds!!!! To be honest normally mine hoover the tablet up in a wee bit if food. Did all 4 the other day and only the GWP managed to eat round it, so she got the above treatment. her expression after did kind of say WTF!!!!!

I use the Jamross method as well . . . . my bitch, {and I say that in all meanings of the word} knows when its coming and runs and hides under the table . . . . I usually tempt her out with a bit of chocolate, a picnic or topic usually works . . . and when she least expects it I wrestle all 6.5 stone of her to the floor, usually with much barking scratching and growling, and thats just from me, prise her mouth open and physically place the tablet so far down her esophagus that she has no option but swallow it. She then usually tears away with the remainder of the said topic / picnic to sulk in a corner for a few hours.............:lol:

I use the Jamross method as well . . . . my bitch, {and I say that in all meanings of the word} knows when its coming and runs and hides under the table . . . . I usually tempt her out with a bit of chocolate, a picnic or topic usually works . . . and when she least expects it I wrestle all 6.5 stone of her to the floor, usually with much barking scratching and growling, and thats just from me, prise her mouth open and physically place the tablet so far down her esophagus that she has no option but swallow it. She then usually tears away with the remainder of the said topic / picnic to sulk in a corner for a few hours.............:lol:

On a serious note, Drontal+ is in my opinion unbeatable

I will give the mibemax a try, does it cover all important worm types or do I need to use something else as well?

Milbemax, Drontal, Cazitel, Cestem, Dolpac, Endogard, Plerion & Prazitel will cover an adult dog for all common round and tapeworms in this country. If you are in a lungworm area you may need additional products.

If you can buy it in a supermarket or bog standard pet shop it likely won't be any good, it wants to be either a POM-V or a POM-VPS.

You could try some of the spot ons, Stronghold, Advocate etc. Best to chat to your vet practice for the best one. Alternatively try chilling panacea powder then serving it in slightly warmed dog food.

Back