Thread: Recoil Reducers

Recoil Reducers

Just back from a morning at the range shooting exclusively from prone off a bipod with my usual .308.

Got through a few rounds and could just about fry an egg on the barrel after 3 shots laying out in the sun!

For the first time I have suffered with a sore shoulder which I know is due to the stock being higher up in the shoulder than from any other position. Just wearing a t shirt didn't help but if was too hot for more.

Now I'm doing more with the rifle than before having joined a club and notjust stalking and zeroing I am thinking about the benefits of fitting a recoil reducer of the izzard type or similar. Back in the day when I was getting through 10's of thousands of shotgun cartridges I had a recoil reducer fitted in my competition gun and it was probably the best 200 I ever spent on something to help with my shooting.

Does anyone have experience of using recoil reducers on rifles (the sprung oil damper type)? The eye relief must bs s consideration but the maximum movement on the one in my shotgun is only about 15mm but I have nearly 100mm of eye relief so I wouldn't think it could be a problem. I hope the scope isn't getting within 15mm of me at the moment!

Any experience appreciated.

moderator or muzzle brake?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Definitely an 'unofficial fix', but when we get clients with recoil issues - most frequently new starters - and usual method already done or not appropriate - eg moderator then start out with the following -

Remove butt pad and check there's sufficient space - usually a breeze with synthetic stocks. Lightly 'pack' a bin bag or part thereof into the void. Add a triple wrapped food bag with 150-300 grams of small lead shot. Top off with more of said bin bag. Replace butt pad.

Aim is to make sure the shot bag doesnt unduly shift/ rattle about - but not so tight as to inhibit any movement.

Whilst not quite as effective as full on mercury type/ piston type dampers, the weight and the ability of the shot to flow slightly significantly alters the recoil pulse - effectively stretching it out.

Usually sufficient to make shooter much more comfortable. Once experienced can be easily removed.

May be worth a near zero cost try?
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016