Factory or Home Load

What do you do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i tend to reload for both 6.5x55 and .223, the main reason i got into reloading was due to the styer .223 being sooo fussy about ammo. i settled on a round that i knew it liked as opposed to trying to find factory ammo that would give me the accuracy i wanted. i dont mind reloading as i am not shooting large quantities of ammo and it doesnt take up too much of my time.

keith

I just love it, trouble is I reckon I've already found an anorak on the peg. It's nearly as bad as getting a dog (cocker), it's all I can now talk about. Bubble

Recently got a .22 Hornet and being keen to go shoot it (and not having all the supplies to reload) bought my first box of factory ammo in over 20 years... Yikes!!! :eek: it's got awful 'spensive...

The last "off the shelf" ammo I bought before this was for a .270win and that cost less per round (£11 for a box of 20 Norma 130grainers) than the Hornet ammo does now (£38 for a box of 50 Winchester 45 grainers)

I know I've spent a heap on kit but I bought most of it yonks ago and I fire around a thousand rounds of centrefire ammo a year, sometimes a lot more. So, it is definitely a route to cheaper and more consistent ammo... over time.

Always home loaded.
Now havent time so just load for foxing.
And when my 6.5 will shoot 3/4 inch groups with 50p a chuck privvis why should I when clients can fire a few rounds a week through it.
My 7mm with rws will shoot 1 inch at 200m's and for the 20 or so rounds a year I fire in that dont care its £52 a box.
Loading now for my 9.3 because I load it lighter for practice to cut cost and recoil but not trying to shoot tiny groups with that.(actually the hand loads do shoot very well)
I wouldn't even reload for the 22250 as the privvis i tried in that shot very well but the heads did not expand quick and foxes were running after been hit.
So I have answered BOTH.
I can set all my ammo needs down against tax anyway so its a no brainer.

Handload everything. Still enjoy it, even when doing large batches of 17Rem for the rabbits. Plus factory is just not affordable in large numbers

i reload 100 rounds at a time 7mm rem mag and fire 40/50 in a outing :eek:if i purchased factorey stuff i would be skint

Factory ammo all the time,58g Norma in 243,150g Norma in 308,both group under 1" at one hundred yards.Not the cheapest I know but it works.

Apart from rimfire, i have not bought a factory round since 1998, i buy virgin brass and handload from the start for the rifles i own or have owned.

Ian.

I load my own due to volume, being generally fussy and choosing an odd caliber.
People say reloading is cheaper but unless you shoot volume I don't think it is. You ought to factor in the kit, time, consumables and trips to the range in the equation.

Back