Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using kitchen fridges as chillers:

Using kitchen fridges as chillers:

Afternoon all,

Quick question, am l ok to use a kitchen fridge as a chiller? In my job l clear offices etc. Yesterday bought home a 6 month old (never used) 6ft fridge / drinks chiller combo (but essentially it is a fridge). Is it ok to use as a chiller if it is set low (bearing in mind its not having to work so hard with all the shelving out/perhaps a carcas or two (mainly Muntys/Roe) in it at any one time.

The principal problems you're likely to face are i) the speed of cooling, and ii) arranging a method for hanging the carcases. Drinks chillers are pretty weedy in general, but worth a try.

Like this?

It works ok with some limitations. The unit I have has a circulating fan which is a definate "plus"...Also, I leave carcasses to cool to room temp before putting them in because as baldrick mentions, these type of fridges are not really meant to chill too much heat load..

They are fine to use as Pete says, one way of dropping the carcass temp is to put it in a chest freezer if you have one for a couple of hours to rapidly cool it before putting it in to your domestic fridge.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

I've got a setup just like Pete E's (in fact I thought he'd broken in to my larder and taken a sneaky photo ) It works fine. Like Pete, I also hang my carcases in the larder for a few hours before putting them in the fridge.

I got my fridge off of eBay for around 25.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn

I got my fridge off of eBay for around 25.

Bugger, that was even cheaper than mine!

i use a fridge as a chiller i got a little 6" clip type desk top fan from e bay and this helps air cirulation and lowers the running temp a huge amount as it creats a wind chill . i run my fan 15min on 15min off via a timer.

i have put warm carcasss in fridge/chiller ,all i do is put fridge on lowerst temp setting and run fan constantly for 4hrs . ....neil

Sounds like it would work then!

I'm interested in putting a fan if nothing lse to help it chill/create a wind chill, and make it more economical to run. The 6" fan you use griffshrek is that a protable car type fan running off a bat or something 240v?

Thanks all for the info - l have a huge chst freezer too so i'll bear in mind the need to chill 'down' before 'fridging' a carcass.

I'd modifiy a small 240V desk fan...

The fan in my fridge runs 24/7 when the fridge is on, exect when the fridge door is openned...

Personally, I don't think you can have too much air circulation inside the fridge; its certainly better to have "too much" rather than "too little"..

I have just finished jointing up a Doe from seasons end , no problems with it at all , It was dry , no hint of a mould, and smelt perfick .I have a drinks chiller set up as Pete E , only mine is double doored , it has an integral fan for circulation and stands cool at about 2c , so I am well happy, 20.00 for that and a 5 ft ice cream freezer as a spare just in case freezer.