Cheap Digital Scales - Any Good?

Edchef

Hi
Just about to restart to reload and i have been looking at my very cheap (£5 from China via Ebay) digital scales that I use for measuring sausage seasoning
Has anyone any experience of these and are they trustworthy or not
PS None of my sausages have blown up - so far!
Ed

Hi
Just about to restart to reload and i have been looking at my very cheap (£5 from China via Ebay) digital scales that I use for measuring sausage seasoning
Has anyone any experience of these and are they trustworthy or not
PS None of my sausages have blown up - so far!
Ed

Glad about your sausages but would recommend RCBS Range Master 750 digital scales. Lee beam scales are to slow. Are you North Shropshire if so i'm not far from Whitchurch if you need any help.

Jimbo

"hi my advice would be save your £5 and get a set of lee beam scales" - enough said i think - Ed

QUOTE=Jimbo 30 06;414116]Glad about your sausages but would recommend RCBS Range Master 750 digital scales. Lee beam scales are to slow. Are you North Shropshire if so i'm not far from Whitchurch if you need any help.

Jimbo[/QUOTE]
Thanks Both
Jimbo - thanks for the offer - I will need help setting up the dies I am sure - never used a beam scale before so need a quick demo of those as well

I used a set from cabelas and found them good. I also used the Lee beam sclaes and found them very easy to operate and the instructions were clear and consise. This time round ill not be bothering with digitals and sticking with the Lee scales.

Nutty

I use the Lee beam scales, then place the empty cartridge on digital scales, zero scales and then load powder, use it as a double check. Scales weigh in grains and cost around £5 from e bay.

I use a £5 digital scale from chinaland..given that my groups touch/clover leaf, I'd say they're accurate enough:p

I have a set, as long as your quick with them then they work very well. i use to throw all the loads onto lee scales and file the cases. once i had a batch i would then pour each load onto the scale pan and adjust by the grain, that how good i found them.
only down side was that they where a pain in the butt to set up and then if you took to long weighting a load then they stopped weighing. i did get use to them but it was a bit of a ball ache at times.

As with all scales, you should have a check weight which you Know to be accurate, and use it often.
Don't forget that the powder you are tipping into your case can generate tons per square inch pressure in your firearm breech.

In a Target Rifle reloading article recently in the Sporting Rifle magazine, the author wrote that "even a draught which you can hardly feel will affect your scales".
I was surprised at this statement given that total accuracy was the goal in the article. As a user of scientific balance quality scales at work I can say that even a draught which you cannot feel will affect your scales.

fraser

They work fine, checkweigh 1/2 dozen bullets and these jewellers digital scales work well for 1/10 grain repeatability.
If a scale consistently weighs a bit light or a bit heavy its not a problem long as its consistent and the only scale you develope your load with.

This is all good helpful stuff chaps - thank you all
I am getting some bits together slowly- better get a rifle as well I suppose!
FAC can't be far away
Eager of Shropshire

Back