Saturday morning, returning from stalking, I figured I needed to find a productive way to spend the morning.
Having recently picked up a secondhand Peli case and also a spare synthetic stock for the .308 Blaser, I decided to fit the dis-assembled gun to the case in preparation for the annual trip up to Scotland. I thought others might be interested in the process so here's a quick write-up.
Here's the basic case, as picked up off eBay:
First step was to trace round the rifle components onto A4 paper (sellotaped together where necessary) to make up the patterns of what I would subsequently need to cut out.
These patterns were then cut out and stuck onto the foam sheet using a good old Pritt stick. Spray glue would have been better, but the Pritt stick was in the kitchen drawer! Playing around with the patterns lets you work out the most suitable layout for the foam.
Having done this, I then set to with the a hot foam cutter that I picked up off of eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hot-wire-t...item3cc7f9c9af (excellent service by the way, arrived next day).
For each piece you're cutting out you need to start by making a hole through the foam with a sharp knife. You can then feed through the wire from the cutter, connect everything up and let rip. A steady hand is called for, along with firm, even, pressure on the foam. For a first attempt I was quite happy with the results, though with a bit more practice I am sure you could end up with something much more professional looking.
The foam shown here in the lid I subsequently removed and fitted a standard sheet of foam.
Finally, then, it was time to fit the components into the case. On the first attempt I realised that both the bolt and the barrel would sit too low down in the foam, so I took the respective pieces of foam that I'd cut out and cut them in half lengthwise, basically ending up with holes of half the depth, which seemed about perfect.
All things considered, it turned out pretty well. The empty circular hole, BTW, is intended for the rifle sling. Compared to the previous effort of using a sharp knife to cut out the holes, the hot foam cutter makes a far neater job.
On top of the successful stalk earlier in the day (though with the .243 rather than the .308) and supper in the pub that evening, it was a pretty good Saturday all told!