Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this rifle worth buying?

Is this rifle worth buying?

I am looking for a .223 and came across this Sako 85 xs on guntrader. It quotes the following "Fairly recent little used rifle as new external condition, however some very light corrosion in muzzle area of bore due to lack of cleaning however this is negligible and the rifle is being SOLD GUARANTEED TO GROUP BETTER THAN 1" AT 100M." Can you guys tell me if this rifle is worth buying and does it need more work on it?

Not until you tell us how much it is?

Is this the one you are looking at?
    Given it's a buyer's market for rifles, I would suggest you look for one without apparent issues within your budget. Or drive a very hard bargain for this one. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 24-07-2012 at 18:28.

Looked it up. 795.

From speaking to Callum Ferguson, corrosion in that area is generally caused by leaving a moderator on and preventing gases and moisture from escaping. Not so much down to cleaning which I would think would simply result in a dirty barrel.

I would offer less money and tell the seller you will have to look at getting a couple of inches cut off the barrel and have it re-crowned and threaded. That however does not seem a lot of money to pay for a Sako 85 in that condition (from pictures), corrosion aside.

Better still, try and knock him down to 650 and get it rebarreled in the weight, twist and profile you want!

been offered a sako 75 varmint laminated mint for 800 if interested

ATB steve

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    .... try and knock him down to 650 and get it rebarreled in the weight, twist and profile you want!
    That is about what I would think it is worth. 100 will sort a top quality chop recrown and rethread job.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks for all the advice guys. Will contact the dealer and see if we can negotiate a price. I live in North Wales. Does anyone know a good gunsmith locally?

Your certainly close enough to Mike Norris.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Have a look at it depends what he means by light corrosion you might be luck and you might be able to clean it up.
    Last edited by Jason; 26-07-2012 at 17:05.

If you're going to drive from north Wales to Derby to collect you could do worse than go back via Mike Norris'. Ring in advance to make sure he's there. Mike will give you an honest view of whether any remedial work is needed. If it does need a cut and recrown he will probably do it while you wait.

A few hours in Mike's company is a pleasure for anyone with an interest in rifles and shooting. He is very entertaining (as well as being a top flight smith).