Another box ticked

As I am now in the winter period of my life I found that I still have some boxes to tick on the shooting front ,that is boar ,goat and C.W.D. so my good friend Gaz arranged a weekend with Solway Stalker to put things right.
We travelled up on Friday and returned Sunday, the weather was perfect if anything it was to good, we were in a party of four so two on the boar and two on the roe on the first night, unfortunately we all drew a blank, and still we had three more outings to come.
The three lads were up early on Saturday out on the roe but still they were unable to put one in the larder, I had a lie in ready to go on the goats (game on):D

We travelled a good distance to get to the venue which was truly a fantastic place after a lot of spying by us all we finally spotted a couple way up the scraggy rock face!! After a bit of a discussion it was decide we would have a go for them, so off we go when Colin said he could hear some goats bleating nearby but at that time we could see nothing but he was unperturbed and still kept spying until bingo he and Gaz spotted five that looked a better option so off we go again.
I must say when you look at a rock face from across the valley it doesn't look that steep but when I was on the bottom looking up I had my doubts of getting up there :eek: :eek:?? but Colin was certain it was ok so we started to climb and climb and climb and efin climb, by this time I must say my skin was leaking a bit.

We finally got as near as was possible but we were still two hundred yards away with no chance of getting any closer because of the terrain Colin asked me if I was certain at shooting at that distance which was ok with me, so the wait was on for one to present himself as they seemed quite content to stay lying down sunbathing finally one got up and presented a broadside shot off goes the 30.06 and there is one goat in the bag (happy days) :Dthe others soon started to move around and come our way , as we lay there waiting another poked his head over the crag just looking at me so off went the 30.06 again and there was another in the bag, :D :D talk about exited I nearly creamed my pants.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I had a truly fantastic day that I will never forget and I would like to say a very big thank you to Colin Solway stalker (what a great bloke) and my mate Gaz for arranging the trip (he just loves arranging things):D

So that is another box ticked only C.W.D. and boar to go and I will definitely be returning to Solway Stalker to sort out the boar thank you lads once again.
Chris
IMG_1704.jpggoat2.jpg goat1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad write up Landy, but you forgot to mention your "first air shot" :rofl: It does happen to us all from time to time.
It just shows you don't always have to fill the bag every time you go stalking roe and boar. Great ground that offered plenty of chances and great company account for another enjoyable trip. Thanks Col and all, Gaz

Now Gaz it is about time you were a bit more profesional in your terminoligy AIR SHOT, air shot my arse it was a barrel fouling shot :oops:

Now Gaz it is about time you were a bit more profesional in your terminoligy AIR SHOT, air shot my arse it was a barrel fouling shot :oops:
:rofl: You watch "Maespant" doesn't see this :stir: You can sort the CWD trip :doh:

ATB Gaz

Yes Col your just about in sight.IMG_1696.jpgIMG_1695.jpg
What a great place to stalk, fantastic scenery and the terrain gets a thirst going ready for a nice cold magners on the way home.
ATB Gaz

Last edited:
Will have to ask the banker or sell a few days on the fallow bucks in the rut. :smug:

Great write up Chris, I was lucky enough to have a trip up there with Colin in June, awesome scenery and great sport! Going up was hard on the lungs, coming down was hard on the Knees! Going back in September, can't wait!
Kev.

Back