Selling home loads

OSS32

Quick one guys (I hope):

I have a friend who shoots 5 - 40 rounds a year (.243). After some range time with me he was interested in me working up an accurate load for his .243 - also in the reduced cost. Clearly it is not worth him reloading - at the same time he needs the ammo to go on his ticket for renewal.

Am I right in thinking I can work up a load and then transfer it to his ticket (40 a year or so) - am I ok charging him the costs? Clearly I'm not an RFD.

Thanks in advance.

OSS

You cant charge him anything. He can "contribute" but not buy, and reload them himself under your supervision

Is the simplest thing to get him to buy the heads from the shop? That way they are on his ticket; and it accounts for the costs.

Reloading for others is fraught with difficulties although not illegal if you are a RFD.
Proofing the ammo, insuring it and meeting the Health and Safety Executive requirements are prohibitive.
I allow people to reload their ammo on my equipment under my supervision.

You can list the transfer of ammo onto the cert, but remember it is illegal to sell unproofed firearms, I take it this includes ammo???

I never knew this. So if I made up 50 rounds of 222 and sold them at cost to my mate or sold 50 rounds with a rifle when changing calibres I am actually doing something illegal?

Ian

Reloading for others is fraught with difficulties although not illegal if you are a RFD.
Proofing the ammo, insuring it and meeting the Health and Safety Executive requirements are prohibitive.
I allow people to reload their ammo on my equipment under my supervision.

absolutely. dodgyrog and I had the doubtful privilege of a visit from the authorities at one of our club range shoots fir this exact issue. they proceeded to check everyone's tickets and amount of hand loads we were all carrying. it was based on a complaint they were following up. under no circumstances go down this road unless doing it professionally as rog has highlighted.

One important aspect that has not been mentioned in this thread is 'liability'. If one loads ammuntion for another then the loader is the manufacturer. In the event of a problem the manufacturer may have a claim made against them so would need to be well insured.
We need to remember that we may only be in possession of ammunition authorised by our fac and that includes expanding missiles (bullets). Expanding missiles themselves were prohibited by the 1997 Act unless authorised by a fac. For example I have assisted my friend to load 220 Swift with my friend present but as I no longer have a .22 calibre on my fac I am not currently authorised to be in possession of .22 expanding missiles. So the cases, primers and powder remain with me until his next visit but he takes his expanding missiles home with him together with the loaded ammunition. When loading my friend is always present and does the majority of the loading under my supervision and with a little of my help using my kit.
In relation to expanding missiles being entered on the fac when acquired, it is sensible to ask the rfd to enter them on the fac. This assists at time of renewal with establishing continued 'good reason'.
I am not aware of a specific offence being committed by an fac holder who loads ammunition and makes a cartridge that is authorised by his fac (including the expanding missiles) then sells it to an authorised friend occasionally. If this were to be a regular occurrence then 'trade or business' could become an issue and open up a whole new can of worms.
In summary think carefully before loading ammuntion for someone else whether sold or othewise. Potential firearms offences are one thing but the 'no win, no fee' brigade is another matter that could lose you house in the event of a serious accident with ammuntion that you have manufactured. Sorry to be a doom goblin but let your friend use your kit to load under your supervision is the best option as outlined by other members.

Yes Uncle Norm makes a really good point beyond possession laws.

Using home loads invalidates the manufacturers warranty on your mates rife. It also makes you liable if you have a serious munitions failure.

DSC1 question. A friend offers you a few rounds that he has loaded that he says work well in his rifle. Do you ?

A) Accept but use them at a range first.
B) Accept and take them apart to investigate.
C) Accept and feedback how they worked on deer you shot
D) Politely decline.

Ok it's from memory.

I would avoid reloading for someone else.

Back