which manufacturer

deerstalker.308

Im coming to the end of my current batch of Federal 150gr .308 ammo, and having had difficulty getting decent quantities of this locally I thought I'd see what other people would recommend as alternaitves within a similar price range. The only other ammo I've ever tried was Remmy core lok in .243 and I hated it.

Opinions please!
Factory ammo only as I'm not into loading,

Cheers

People seem to like the 123grain sako ammo. I have just bought some 150 grain lapua mega which look ok but I havent shot them yet so we will see. Otherwise I would look for Lapua Norma or RWS. Of the american ammo I would use Federal, Winchester then Remington in that order

i have used the sako rounds in 243 90g and was very impresed with them but i was firing them from a tikka t3 super varmint as they both come fromsame companey the results are not surprising depends on your gun im afraid every gun seams to like or dislike a particular round

Sako 123 is a popular choice - can be a bit aggressive close in - but that can be said for many things!

Strange world - Sako and Federal are from same Distributor - GMK. Now GMK have their moments - good & bad, but the one constant has been a steady supply of 308 150 grain Federal from them - as much as we want, when we want it!

They supply to dealers in 200 round outers - if hard to find locally could be local RFD reluctant to hold stock - which is understandable. But may be worth seeking a deal where he'll order in and hold for draw down onto your ticket - with a discount for the bulk order?

Sako ammo is batch produced - GMKs monthly order in runs at 3000 plus rounds for 308 123 grain alone. But there can be delays in Sako supply - depending upon how their stocks are and the loading cycle. Sako supplied by GMK to dealers in 400 round outers - so potentially an even bigger stock issue than the Federal.

Hope that helps.

I've always found RWS to be excellent factory ammo, used to use the 150gr SP .308 rounds and they performed well.

Just bought some 170 grain Geco , they grouped ok at about 1" at one hundred yards , there not the fastest hardest hitting round out there but delivered consistent groups which for me is more important.Will be trying them on Roe , Fallow and Muntjac in the next couple of weeks.will let you know how they perform.
Nik..

Back