Accepted range for. 22 bunny bashing.

teabag_46

A lot of posts seem to imply that the maximum range for bunny bashing with a 22 rimmy is 75 yards or less. I regularly kill rabbits at ranges in excess of 100meters with mine, who else does the same, if anyone?

accepted range is operator specific not calibre or quarry specific

not regularly over 100 but 80-100 is quite common myself

No reason you shouldn't go out further if you know what your rifle does.
An SCB/mildot style reticle with a parallax adjuster which you can use to range-find is also helpful. Once you know how your chosen set-up performs at various ranges, and you can predict the range accurately, there is no reason why you shouldn't shoot out further. It certainly has the energy at range to kill a bunny!.
MS

using a milldot scope have shot out to 150 (engine room not head - and it was highly effective) - but conditions were perfect and I knew the distance (same bit of ground I use as a range every now and then), have lamped at 100, again knew the range.

In the main it's about 40m - because that's what the ground dictates; if the ground the ground required me to shoot further I probably would - but i might be tempted ot use the .223 if that was the case (over 100m) - lot of money to shoot a bunny though.

Last edited:
usually within 75yds or so, but range has never stopped me having a whack at crows, magpies, rooks and rabbits even out to 200yds...never hit them at that range though:confused:

I'm finding that 50 - 60 yards is fine. So far haven't needed to shoot any further than that at bunnies. Just set myself up about that distance from a warren, and spend the evening picking off as they emerge.
However, I'm in no doubt about the capabilities of the .22 to deal with small quarry at much greater ranges, but this would require much more skill than I've got at estimating range etc etc. With practice and more experience I'm expecting to be able to take it out to 80 - 100 yards, but beyond that I can't see much point. I'd rather just get closer to the quarry, than mess up a shot because it was beyond my capabilities.

127yds is furthest head shot bunny, starting to run out of mill dots any further. Mine is zeroed at 50yds and i have a complete tragectory chart laminated and stuck to the side of the stock. 100yds eley sub drops 7.2", that effectively equates to 2 mil dots. Incidentally the average length of a rabbits ears is 3.5", so can use that to range if need be.

My kids can shoot tangerine sized targets at 100yds all day off a bipod (Annie XIV carbine).

Shot a fox at the weekend at 87yds whilst staying at friends, nice rested shot out of the bedroom window. Helped to have geovids and nice side on chest shot, annie is capable of better accuracy than its shooter before I am subject to much ridicule.

D

once shot a bunny of bean canes at 110yds paced out.
2.5 ear lengths holdover, i concur on the purpose built holdover gauges that bunnies have!

I put a 3ft target up once and shot "groups" at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150.

it was a bit breezy but the drops after 100 were quite large, IRC 150yds (actually closer to 140) was about 18" and wind drift on that about 6"

get plinking and get used to range finder with the mark one eyeball and it will do a lot more than you expect

Last edited:
I'm finding that 50 - 60 yards is fine. So far haven't needed to shoot any further than that at bunnies. Just set myself up about that distance from a warren, and spend the evening picking off as they emerge.
However, I'm in no doubt about the capabilities of the .22 to deal with small quarry at much greater ranges, but this would require much more skill than I've got at estimating range etc etc. With practice and more experience I'm expecting to be able to take it out to 80 - 100 yards, but beyond that I can't see much point. I'd rather just get closer to the quarry, than mess up a shot because it was beyond my capabilities.

VSS well scripted and it shows your approach to our sport is the correct one. Your post on this thread is the only decent reply. To many on here seem to think that the further away you shoot something and brag about it the better the come over. But all it tells responcible shooters is they have no field craft or respect for the quarry they shoot at as, if they had then posts like these would stop.

Jimbo

Last edited:
VSS well scripted and it shows your approach to our sport is the correct one. Your post on this thread is the only decent reply. To many on here seem to think that the further away you shoot something and brag about it the better the come over. But all it tells responcible shooters is they have no field craft or respect for there quarry as, if they had then posts like these would stop.

Jimbo

without feeling the need to defend my posts I have to disagree.
shooting rabbits at 100yds with a .22 shows no less respect than say.... shooting a stag at 280 yds, or with a .243 or with a ballistic tip. people may disagree with any of these.

if you are anyone else is not comfortable with any particular practice or range then the simple answer is dont do it.
To criticise perfectly simple answers to a straight forward question without knowledge of a) the shooter b) the conditions and c) the knowledge that person has of his rifle is misguided. There is no bragging implied.

people will criticise longer shots as lacking field craft.
Those people havent shot the golf courses that I shoot!

Better the OP goes out and tests his rifle like I tested mine so if he does have a runner, or injured rabbit and it gets to a distance he would not normally shoot he knows he can hit it.

what would you rather? everyone buys an HMR if they want to shoot past 50-60yds?

without feeling the need to defend my posts I have to disagree.
shooting rabbits at 100yds with a .22 shows no less respect than say.... shooting a stag at 280 yds, or with a .243 or with a ballistic tip. people may disagree with any of these.

if you are anyone else is not comfortable with any particular practice or range then the simple answer is dont do it.
To criticise perfectly simple answers to a straight forward question without knowledge of a) the shooter b) the conditions and c) the knowledge that person has of his rifle is misguided. There is no bragging implied.

people will criticise longer shots as lacking field craft.
Those people havent shot the golf courses that I shoot!

Better the OP goes out and tests his rifle like I tested mine so if he does have a runner, or injured rabbit and it gets to a distance he would not normally shoot he knows he can hit it.

what would you rather? everyone buys an HMR if they want to shoot past 50-60yds?

Brewsher 500 i seem to have touched a nerve with you. I sugest you re read VSS post where he says he will with experience eventually shoot Rabbits to 100yds. As i do myself but not beyond i have shot rabbits for over 50years and have never failed to get within 100yds even in 300+ acre fields. As said i seem to think you lack in field craft if you cant stalk into your quarry species.

Jimbo

If I had regular need to deal with bunnies at 100 yards and didn't have the HMR I'd just re-zero @ 100 yards. I am zero'd at 45m and it is a bit too close - think will re zero 60.

Brewsher 500 i seem to have touched a nerve with you. I sugest you re read VSS post where he says he will with experience eventually shoot Rabbits to 100yds. As i do myself but not beyond i have shot rabbits for over 50years and have never failed to get within 100yds even in 300+ acre fields. As said i seem to think you lack in field craft if you cant stalk into your quarry species.

Jimbo

Years of chemical abuse mean I have no nerves to speak of. so no, none touched.
I dont need to re-read, I got his post first time and it was fine, concise, clear, self aware and answered the question.

What I don't understand why people feel the need to tell others what they can or can't do, physically or ethically. or worse cast aspersions that those answering a valid question with their experience is taken as "bragging".

Its not relevant to the original question

Its admiral that you have been shooting rabbits for 50yrs, not really relevant to the original question either though, but that must put you in your mid to late 60's.
Eyesight going a bit now is it?
Not quite as limber as you were to squeeze through those gaps in the fence of the 300 acre field?

I could go on but I won't as its not pleasant, probably inaccurate and I don't know you.... nor you me.

Rabbits dont tend to sit in the middle of 300 acre fields so the size is not really relevant either.
They do however sit in the middle of Par 5 fairways on links golf courses with zero cover between you and them. Where I spend my evenings 2-3 times a week shooting lots of rabbits between 20-50yds and some further out......some even at distances that others may think is ......too far........
they only become lamp shy if you miss!

if everyone tells the OP that 50-60 yds is the "accepted" target range we would all be wrong.
That is accepted "zero" range.
That in itself implies MPBR is in excess of that.
We zero at around 50 yds so we can shoot without holdover at further than that.
.22 40gr bullets do not suddenly turn into Rice Crispies after 70yds and have the same predictable trajectory as any other bullet.
They also carry more energy at 100yds than most high power PCP air rifles do at 20

anyone who says a 100+yd shot on rabbits is "pushing it" or not humane has either never done it or never tested the impact of a .22lr 40gr round at distances exceeding their expected range.

300yds shooting .22lr Velocitors. Admittedly these are HV and 1400fps rounds instead of 1000fps subsonics. but you get the idea.
Clean through 5" of meat and 4 layers of denim.
Rabbits aren't that hard, even in 300 acre fields

It also proves a point that if you know what you are talking about, learn your rifle/ballistics and practice much further range than you think is possible, ethical or humane it is possible to shoot targets accurately.

But my first post summed that up without being goaded into a p1ssing contest about what is "right and wrong" or who does the best impression of a Sniper in a Ghillie suit sneaking up on bunnies.

but lets leave it that and agree to disagree, I have no field craft, shoot them to far away and brag about it...
but then you know me so well.....

Years of chemical abuse mean I have no nerves to speak of. so no, none touched.
I dont need to re-read, I got his post first time and it was fine, concise, clear, self aware and answered the question.

What I don't understand why people feel the need to tell others what they can or can't do, physically or ethically. or worse cast aspersions that those answering a valid question with their experience is taken as "bragging".

Its not relevant to the original question

Its admiral that you have been shooting rabbits for 50yrs, not really relevant to the original question either though, but that must put you in your mid to late 60's.
Eyesight going a bit now is it?
Not quite as limber as you were to squeeze through those gaps in the fence of the 300 acre field?

I could go on but I won't as its not pleasant, probably inaccurate and I don't know you.... nor you me.

Rabbits dont tend to sit in the middle of 300 acre fields so the size is not really relevant either.
They do however sit in the middle of Par 5 fairways on links golf courses with zero cover between you and them. Where I spend my evenings 2-3 times a week shooting lots of rabbits between 20-50yds and some further out......some even at distances that others may think is ......too far........
they only become lamp shy if you miss!

if everyone tells the OP that 50-60 yds is the "accepted" target range we would all be wrong.
That is accepted "zero" range.
That in itself implies MPBR is in excess of that.
We zero at around 50 yds so we can shoot without holdover at further than that.
.22 40gr bullets do not suddenly turn into Rice Crispies after 70yds and have the same predictable trajectory as any other bullet.
They also carry more energy at 100yds than most high power PCP air rifles do at 20

anyone who says a 100+yd shot on rabbits is "pushing it" or not humane has either never done it or never tested the impact of a .22lr 40gr round at distances exceeding their expected range.

300yds shooting .22lr Velocitors. Admittedly these are HV and 1400fps rounds instead of 1000fps subsonics. but you get the idea.
Clean through 5" of meat and 4 layers of denim.
Rabbits aren't that hard, even in 300 acre fields

It also proves a point that if you know what you are talking about, learn your rifle/ballistics and practice much further range than you think is possible, ethical or humane it is possible to shoot targets accurately.

But my first post summed that up without being goaded into a p1ssing contest about what is "right and wrong" or who does the best impression of a Sniper in a Ghillie suit sneaking up on bunnies.

but lets leave it that and agree to disagree, I have no field craft, shoot them to far away and brag about it...
but then you know me so well.....

Brewsher i realy have touch your nerve you talk absolute B*****ks they only thing you nearly got right is my age i'm early sixties. Eyesight still excellent and am fit and able to climb over/get under fences and obstacles maybe not as quick as when younger i will admit. You obviously don't have field craft to say rabbits never sit in the middle of a 300acre field have you never seen a warren in the middle of a field. As for saying rabbits only become lamp shy if you miss you are telling me you have zero experience in lamping and no field craft. I rather think that it is you creeping round like RAMBO in a GHILLIE suite. The fact that you stated 18" drop and 6" drift in your post and you still take on shots with this knowlege states to me you have no respect for your quarry.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I make no apologies for agreeing with bewsher on this. If the man is capable of doing the job at 2-300 yards then who is anyone else to criticise them for it. As always, it's all about putting the bullet in the right spot. If you can't then don't try. If you can then why not. It's only those who try to do what they haven't got the knowledge or ability to do that should be ashamed of themselves. The bullet has without doubt got more than enough energy at emormous ranges to kill a bunny.

Back