A decent winter jacket

DanGriff

I have just joined a wildfowling club locally and am thinking about getting prepared for the winter.
I am on the lookout for a warm waterproof jacket and thought I would ask on here for any recomendations.
I looked at the harkila pro hunter a few months ago but £350 seems alot to spend on a jacket that could easily be ripped on a wire fence, and if they are anything like the trousers that I have it wouldn't be very breathable.
'Layers' maybe the way to go but the waterproof outer layer must be a tough material as I also do alot of ferreting during the winter as well crawling through brambles ect.

Have you considered going the mil surplus route? German Flecktarn GoreTex jackets are around £15, British DPM ones a little more. Wear a smock/combat jacket over the top for pockets and you are all set. That way you'll have no worries if you rip it, especially for wildfowling which doesn't usually require you to look posh and can be hard on gear.

I have a selection of £300 - £400 jackets but the mil surplus stuff is getting more regular use now than anything else for my stalking and fishing so I'm using it because I think it works better rather than because I have nothing else to choose from.

For wild fowling I use a DPM Gore Tex CS95 jacket with various jumpers or Swanni shirts under it depending on the weather. Unlined shell type jackets like this are definetly the way to go, you can swill them in the sea, shake them out and wear them again on the next flight. It doesn't have pockets but this is no bad thing as it's all too easy for pockets to get flooded. All my gear goes in my daysack. A couple of my mates have the US desert versions which are obviously lighter in colour and match in well on the marsh. I wouldn't worry about colour though, every time I've ever been 'fowling all my kit seems to become a universal mud colour within about five minutes! Glyn.

PS. Putting my HM Coastguard hat on, please take a blaze orange (not lime green) hiviz vest with you. These cost next to nothing and could save your life.

Last edited:
Biggest problem with 'fowling kit is getting the right waders, the fit is critical if they are to be comfortable and useable. You would think that neoprene chest waders would be ideal but I'm not so sure. I haven't found the right ones yet, last season I went back to using basic black rubber thigh waders.

I have just joined a wildfowling club locally and am thinking about getting prepared for the winter.
I am on the lookout for a warm waterproof jacket and thought I would ask on here for any recomendations.
I looked at the harkila pro hunter a few months ago but £350 seems alot to spend on a jacket that could easily be ripped on a wire fence, and if they are anything like the trousers that I have it wouldn't be very breathable.
'Layers' maybe the way to go but the waterproof outer layer must be a tough material as I also do alot of ferreting during the winter as well crawling through brambles ect.

Have a look at the rivers west eider jacket http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/7182/Rivers-West-Eider-Jacket/

or kentdale know a few wildfowlers that use both jackets http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/8392/Rivers-West-Kentdale-Parka/

Back