.270 owners Help choosing factory ammo please

shaun22/250

As above I'm looking into my options on factory ammo for my Winchester 70. At the moment i have only tries Hornady 150 grain SP and Winchester 150 grain SP. What do other .270 users use on Deer (Roe and Fallow) mainly.
I know there's a big divide between SP and BT and do not really want to fire this debate up again. So some of your preferances may help in my quest. ATB Shaun

Federal power shock in 130 or 150 group very well through my tikka. And they're cheap!

thats where i would start , bugger all wrong with federal ammo have used tons of it in the past and its always worked well !

last time i bought some i think it was about £17.50 a box !?

Hi firstly find a brand of ammunition that shoots consistently in your make of rifle.
With regards to bullet weight i prefer 130g sp works every time for me from large domestic cattle to roe its accuracy that gets results.
150 g will also work well if placed in the right place.
And believe it or not my sako loves Winchester 130g sp
Other brands are acceptable but none shine like Winchester.

130 gr SP in Norma for my Browning, although it does hate the 150 gr SP Norma. Anyway the 130 gr will cleanly put the lights out on any of our spicies of deer, if put in the right place.

As the boys have already said, the Norma and Federals won't see you wrong. I've also had good results with Winchester Powerpoints. But, my Sako 85's absolute favourite is the RWS H-Mantle in 130 gn. Had Muntjac through to Red (chest shot and head shot in the park) with it and never had a drama.

Having said my piece on brands, it's now down to you to try a few of them to find out the most important piece of info you need, which one your Rifle likes. The deer don't care what you hit them with, but the rifle cares about what you feed it. When you know what your rifle favours, it's all down to your bullet placement;)

Last edited:
I'm using Sako Gamehead 130 grain, their hollow point boat tails, group well through my Steyr Mannlicher and work very well on Roe.

Hi firstly find a brand of ammunition that shoots consistently in your make of rifle.
With regards to bullet weight i prefer 130g sp works every time for me from large domestic cattle to roe its accuracy that gets results.
150 g will also work well if placed in the right place.
And believe it or not my sako loves Winchester 130g sp
Other brands are acceptable but none shine like Winchester.
mine prefers Hornady over Winchester

I found that the Federal Fusion shot well in a number of rifles. I was using the 150 grain and it was at a damn good price at the time.

anyone tried Hornady 140 grain SST ? I phoned my local RFD's 2 only sell winchester, 1 Hornady and the other Winchester and Norma but only 130 SP in norma. I cant find anyone that sells Remington or federal local to me.

I use winchester 150g 270 rounds. Rifle likes it and it will knock down anything. Also no amount of meat damage over and above anything else I have used. I did try some fedral but it would not chamber. I have always stuck to the rule that I use the same ammo as the calibre so in my 222 I use remington and my 270 winchester but I am handloading now so all have changed. What suits the rifle will be best regardless of price.

Back