Hunting group vs benchrest

Chesapeake

Quick one for all out there,

When your zeroing to get group size do you subtract bullet diameter?

Personlly I didn't until people were spouting about mega tight groups.

My view is outside to outside for hunting and subtract your calibre if your BR ing - personally I'm not targeting shooting any more and for me 12mm @ 200m still makes me happy.

My view is outside to outside for hunting and subtract your calibre if your BR ing - personally I'm not targeting shooting any more and for me 12mm @ 200m still makes me happy.

Groups have been measured in many different ways over history to accommodate the particular shooting endeavor. Do what ever warms the cockles of your heart.~Muir

Remember on the internet groups are usually a half an inch, regardless of the distance between bullet holes :D

It would make most people exceeedingly happy as I have scored many, many hundreds of targets at stalkers shoots and it is a true fact of life that nine out of ten people are incapable of even putting three consecutive shots on to a one inch bullseye at 100 yards.

HWH.

PS.
I shot the one below at 100 yards last year and was 78 then and partially sighted but I have never done one at 200 yards.
P1070007.jpg

Last edited:

Solid base, front rest or bipod, butt bag, warm hands, immovable target, no rain and minimal wind then 1/2" group at 100 yards = good shooting.

Freehand or sticks, cold hands, ****ing rain / sleet / snow, gusting wind and a meandering animal - if it is dead = good shooting.

I thought it was centre of the bullets hole to centre of the next bullet hole,the centre is the middle

Solid base, front rest or bipod, butt bag, warm hands, immovable target, no rain and minimal wind then 1/2" group at 100 yards = good shooting.

Freehand or sticks, cold hands, ****ing rain / sleet / snow, gusting wind and a meandering animal - if it is dead = good shooting.

:) True!

+ 1

Back