basc/bds/ca or other????????????????????????????????????????

waldini

hi could do with some advice on who to give my hard earned money too.

basc £64

countryside alliance £52

bds £53

now my question is, i was thinking of going with bds as they have some good regional meets near to me. and i hope they are doing there bit for our sport. i don't go in to all the politics of groups. lets face it they should be all fighting for us. my problem is do you get insurance with bds membership. there web-site doesn't say what you get. but dose offer stalking insurance for £23

if anyone can offer any info or advice on where to go and why. and if the bds offer insurance with there membership.

NGO

I second that Malc, they have a deer division now :D
(I am a member of a few but I think the NGO is the most genuine and best value)

cheers guys that's just what i was looking for. :D will sort out membership asap.

still interested to see if you get any insurance inc with bds. if not it seems steep. :eek:

Don't just INsure but ENsure when you part with your money!

I would not give a penny piece to the BDS. They are no true friend of those who use firearms to kill deer...regardless of the "cheapness" or not of any insurance is it wise to use this solely to decide?

Nor the the CA who have demonstrated in word that they are happy to tarnish shooting to divert the spotlight from houndsports. I want any surplus money after the insurance cost is taken out to go 100% to defend shooting.

Give your money to those who not only INsure you for your sport of shooting but politically ENsure that you will still be able to do it in the future!

So. BASC or similar SHOOTING organisations (apart from the useless NRA). There are some who are members of the Scottish Gamekeepers as I think they extend insurance cover to paid stalkers.

enfield,

I think there are many here that would disagree with you about BASC. I would not join them if they paid me! I personally think they are a disgrace to our sport and do not fight hard enough against legislation like tail docking, hounds etc.

They all have their faults and it is difficult to join something that keeps you happy all the time. Good luck with the search.

which one

Jingqy
You may disagree wiyh Enfield but i for one disagree with you.
i have been a BASC member for 30+ years , they have always given
me good advice when i have needed it,they have excellent insurance cover and will always fight for and back up the shooting community 100%
BDS to me come a poor 2nd
and CA are a big NO NO
JayJay

Re: basc/bds/ca or other????????????????????????????????????

waldini said:
i hope they are doing there bit for our sport.

Don't forget that BDS is a charity and isn't doing anything "for our sport". It's sole charitable purpose is to promote the welfare of deer. It is this welfare aspect that involves safe, humane, proficient deer management practice which is the concern of the Society, not stalking as a sporting activity.

A number of folk have negatives views about the BDS and their stance on the use of shotguns, seasons etc - each to their own, but you need to remember the Society doesn't exist for the benefit of stalkers. I'm a member because they publish a lot of interesting stuff about deer.

Point taken BC
and i will join BDS for the information Ect That they can offer
but as for fighting for our sport it still has to be BASC
JayJay

rarms said:
I think I read on another forum that the BASC has ties to the Deer Initiative........

What do you mean?
things like:

Peter Watson (ex Deer Officer - 'leaves' BASC, sets up DI 2 weeks later)
John Swift CEO BASC also trustee of DI
Still share same address as BASC :confused:

Relax - then, nothing to do with them! :evil:

Rgds Ian

I cant understand any deerstalker backing BASC with membership or cash while they are promoting the DI the cash that members puts in goes to support the taking of stalkers land and buying equipment for the DI to make sure they can do the job that the stalker on the ground is allowed to do.
Wake up and smell the cash you are having the rug pulled from under your noses and the future of your sport is on its way out. :lol: :lol: .
PS ASK PETER WATSON HOW MANY ACRES THE DI CURRENTLY STALK OVER AND ASK WHAT THEY HAD 2 YEARS AGO.

Waldini - Join the association that fits you best, there are plenty to choose from! As you see there are passionate supporters of the different orgs, and thank goodness there is a choice as we all have different wants and needs.

As has been said, take a look at what the organisation can offer you and your sport, look beyond just insurance.

Very importantly though, ceck the policy wording of the cheaper organisations, I think you will find that there is a nasty clause in them that means they don't pay out if you have home insurance for example!

Davie, I think you find that you will find the DI is supported by ALL of the main shooting associations, not just BASC! From their site it reads:

'The Deer Initiative Partnership is made up of representatives from partner organisations and has responsibility for determining policy and setting priorities in pursuit of their stated objective. The Deer Initiative staff co-ordinate all activities agreed by the Partnership. The Deer Initiative is a registered charity with a Board of Trustees drawn from the full partners.'

So yes there are people from BASC and the other orgs actively involved with the DI, and a full list of partners is on the DI web site.

But if you are saying that BASC is taking stalking land away from members / stalkers I am afraid you are way off side! Or maybe that accusation is aimed at the DI? In that case, pose questions to the DI and get the answers posted here.

David

David
Reservations have been raised regarding the DI on here and other boards.

The Di is a Government quango.

Could you articulate the relationship between BASC and the DI on a practical level

What is in it for BASC and for the DI?

I think it depends to a certain extent if you shoot quarry other than deer. If you do and you believe that these organisations should defend your rights, then BASC would seem to be the sensible choice.

Jack,

Yes I am aware of some of the issues that people have raised, but I am not so sure the DI have replied to a point where people have been satisfied? I guess not if members of the forum still seem to think that the DI have an objective of taking over stalking rights - which is not the case as far as I know!

BASC is a partner body with the DI as are BDS, CA, NGO, and others as listed on the DI web site.

We meet on a regular basis, the idea being that all the partners have an interest in deer and stalking and the meetings have the objective of there being 'joined up thinking' i.e. we do want to have organisation X flying off and doing 'it's own thing' as it were.

BASC has an interest in stalking so we are more than happy to sit at the DI table and have our say.

A similar set up exists with the British Shooting Sports Council for example and all the main shooting organisations.

Does that answer your point? If nor let me know, thanks

Getting back to the issues with the DI, does this centre around the setting up of Deer Management Groups?

David

While some organisation support what the DI stand for in principle it is the head of Basc that set up funds to be given to the DI a big difference .
Now i am in Scotland and we have our own agenda with the DCS who run in the same way only the funds come through a different root.
Peter Watson left BASC TO HEAD THE DI after he had ran a survey about RTA and the areas were most deer were found the same areas were actively seek ed out buy DI members (paid highly ) AND TARGETED AS PRIORTY THEY NOW WILL NOT LET MEMBERS JOIN UNLESS THEY HAVE GOOD GROUND AND CAN PASS ON SIMILAR TO WHAT THEY HAVE.
That came from the chap i spoke to after he wrote a load of **** in the shooting press. He was worried that some one might back stab him now isn't that a rich statement :lol: :lol:
Now sorry David from BASC i would not give you lot a Pennie unless you can put a factual statement on here that you give no moneys or support in any way to an organization that is taking over stalking for the own finacial ends and greed. In doing so are prventing the average stalker getting in to the sport.

back on thread a little.....

I am happy wth SACS. Seem decent enough, good insurance cover, nice magazine etc

Horses for courses

Back