Thread: Newbie

Paul here in sunny Cornwall.

I've been shooting rimfire for just over 3 years, .22 and .17. I have accompanied a friend on a couple of stalks and decided that this is the way I want my shooting to go. My FAC is in for variation to include a .243 and should be back next week. I now have to decide which rifle to get - too much information on the web! Brands going through my mind at the moment are Tikka, Howa, Remington and Browning, I particularly like the Howa 1500 with a heavy stainless barrel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I saw a post earlier about 14 year olds with FACs, my son is 14 and has co-terminus certificates, the process was identical to me getting mine. They do like one of the referees to be a teacher.

Welcome to Sd and thank you for posting 'coterminous' with your intro!

You'll have noticed rifle choices are a regular discussion point on here. Nothing beats actually trying or at least handling a variety and see which feel best to you. In terms of types - each of us have different needs & wants - a Highland stalker may edge away from a heavy barrel whereas it may be a good choice for someone else - and so on.

I like Tikka & Sako - thats a combination of experience and bias on my part. Others will have their favourites. But if they don't feel 'right' to you, it will be much harder to do your best work with them.

Enjoy the Forum
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

Thanks for the welcome,

I have to agree that I wouldn't want to carry the heavy barrelled Howa too far, I've not tried many rifles in my shoulder, fired even less. I did shoulder a thumbhole Howa 1500 varmint and it felt really good but that's the only reason it's current favourite. I've never seen a bad review for a Tikka T3 and it's still very high on my list!

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses